The Round Rock Parks and Recreation Department has many volunteer opportunities for those interested in serving their community and keeping our parks and trails beautiful. Below is a partial list of ongoing projects.
Park clean up
The City's parks and trail system requires diligent efforts to clean up trash and brush. If you are interested in a project listed below, contact Randy Gordon.
- Clean up brush in sections of Brushy Creek trail
- Clean up at Woods Park, Forest Bluff, Provident, Bradford Park, Old Settlers Trail, Luther Peterson, Bowman Road (Mays to Sunrise), McNeil Road under I-35 bridge.
- Park or shore clean up at various parks: Old Settlers Park, Meadowlake, Round Rock West and Lake Creek Park.
- Corridor adoption and clean up right of ways (a one-time or on-going opportunity).
- Clean up creek bed on south side of Old Settlers Park by Rabb Playground.
- General cleanup at Sam Bass Cemetery.
- Rock raking at Lake Creek and Dog Park.
- Flowerbed clean up and weeding.
- Install inlet markers that remind citizens not to dump harmful substances down a storm drain. (Supplies are provided; project is for groups of two or more. Contact Storm Water Department at 512-218-7046)
From tree plantings to office work, the Forestry Division depends on its volunteers. For Forestry projects, contact Emsud Horozovic at 512-341-3350.
- Tree plantings - Plant a tree that will provide shade for years to come (see Arbor Day). Assist in tree planting, mulching, staking, and cleanup. Help with loading and unloading trees and tools, watering trees, and cleaning rock and soil left after tree planting.
- Help mulch trees - Mulching helps keep trees throughout the city healthy.
- Tree nursery - Help repot trees in our nursery as they grow. We also pull weeds at the nursery. Repotting trees takes place on Saturdays or Monday through Friday.
- Brush clearing in parks - Help clear overgrown areas in our city parks. (Round Rock West bathing beach).
- Forestry Office Assistance - Assist with clerical duties. Tasks would include: data entry, filing, organizing, making copies, binding, data gathering by phone calls and web research.
- Forestry Tree Care - Assist Forestry crew in field work on tree care, watering after tree planting, mulching established trees, staking as needed, working in tree nursery on pulling weeds, repotting trees etc., assist in land clearing, helping pull out brush during pruning and brush pick up.
The Parks and Recreation Department has several annual events that provide great opportunities for volunteers.
Round Rock the Boat Regatta
Help with check in, trash pickup, crowd control and onsite duties as assigned. Contact Cory at 512-218-5540.
July 4 Frontier Days Celebration
Help coordinate the parade, crowd control, man a barricade to keep traffic and assist with road closure, help with pepper eating contest, pick up trash, assist with childrenâ€™s games, assist with vendor checkin, ice delivery etc. Contact Dominic at 512-423-1026.
5K for Clay
Staff a rest stop on the course, assist with athlete check-in, stuff athlete packets in advance. Contact Mary Hemenes at 512- 218-3220.
Outlaw trail 100 Cycling Tour
Staff a rest stop on the course, assist with athlete check-in, serve food at the pasta dinner, stuff athlete packets in advance. Contact Cath Martel at 512-218-3342.
Christmas Family Night
Roll hot dogs, inflate balloons, serve food (popcorn, hot chocolate), help with the Santa line, Christmas bingo and other games, help in the Santa house, stuff bingo prize bags, wrap trash cans and gift boxes. Etc. Contact Roger Heaney at 512-34-3361.