Thank you for your interest in the Round Rock Police Department. Our Telecommunications Operators perform a crucial function for the City as part of our disptach team so our hiring process for them is more extensive than for other positions.
Hiring Process Steps
Below is an outline of the steps in the hiring process. Each step must be successfully completed to progress to the next phase.
1. Applications: Check our jobs page for current opening. You will be notified via e-mail after the inital review of your application is complete. Depending on qualifications, a recruiter will then contact you with the second application that must be completed and submitted electronically.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact a recruiter at 512-218-5500.
2. Written Examination: Each applicant will be required to successfully complete a written examination. Applicants who fail to take the examination on the scheduled dates will be disqualified. Only candidates receiving a passing grade on the written examination will proceed to the next step.
3. Mandatory Visit to Communications Center: All applicants must spend a minimum of 2 hours visiting the Communications Center. Each applicant will be required to successfully complete a computer-based simulation test that evaluates general skills performed by a Telecommunications Operator.
4. Preliminary oral board: Applicants will be asked to appear before a panel of Police Department staff for an interview after the simulation test.
5. Background Investigation: A thorough investigation is conducted on each applicant.
6. Captain's Review: Results of background investigation will be reviewed by select Round Rock Police Captains.
7. Final Board: Those that pass the Captain's Review will be interviewed by a panel.
8. Chief's Interview: Applicants who successfully complete all previous phases of the application process will interview with the Chief of Police, prior to receiving an offer of employment.