Skip to page body Home About Round Rock What's New City Services Library Parks & Recreation Departments
Round Rock, Texas - Purpose. Passion. Prosperity.
  Click here to start search.
City Attorney
General Services
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Human Resources
Inspection Services
Municipal Court
Parks & Recreation
Planning and Development Services
Utilities & Environmental Services
Utility Billing
 Permit Guides

The Building Inspection Division's mission is to provide inspections to public and private structures to ensure public health and safety through enforcement of appropriate building codes.

The following permit guides are provided for your convenience in following applicable building codes and ordinances within the City of Round Rock. 


Other Important Things To Know

All Storage Sheds, Decks/Patio Cover, Swimming Pools, Addition to Existing Structures, Water Heater/Water Softner, Demo, Irrigation, Signs, Water/Wastewater Connection and Remodels require building permits issued by the City.

    • Payment is required by check or cash upon submittal of the application.
    • General contractor and subcontractors (mechanical, electrical and plumbing) information is not required at time of application.  However, this information must be provided prior to the issuance of the permit.  A contractor information sheet should be completed for each subcontractor to ensure the City has current company information on file.
    • The electrical, plumbing and mechanical contractors must be licensed with the State of Texas. Search the State's Active License Database
    • A commercial project over $50,000, a Texas Department of License and Regulation (TDLR) project number is required.  Contact the TDLR Architectural Barriers Section at 1-877-278-0999 for registry information.
    • Senate Bill 5 mandates the submittal of Energy Calculations (2012).
    • Comments regarding construction plans are generally provided to the architect.
    • Asbestos (Prior to 1990) survey needs to be submitted if walls are being removed.
    • If the project is over 5000 sq. ft.,  the plans must be stamped and signed by an engineer.
    • When the permit is issued, a call is placed to the general contractor.  The red line plans are returned and paperwork is attached with instructions for scheduling inspections through our online service.

City of Round Rock | 221 East Main Street, Round Rock, Texas 78664 | Phone: (512) 218-5400
©2014 City of Round Rock. All Rights Reserved. | Customer Survey | Site Map | About this website