Obtaining a Permit for a Special Event or Road Closure
City ordinance requires permits to conduct special events, parades, and block parties. Read the descriptions below to help you determine the kind of permit you may need.
The information provided on this web site is for convenience and is not a replacement for a thorough review of the relevant Ordinances. Some possible reasons for denial of permit.
The application fee for special events and parades is $50. The fee for block parties is $25.
A Permit will be issued if the City Manager is satisfied that the event:
- won’t substantially interrupt the safe and orderly movement of traffic;
- won’t require the diversion of so many police officers and/or fire fighters that it unduly interferes with normal services;
- won’t interfere with the fire or EMS service;
- is unlikely to cause injuries or property damage;
- will provide adequate sanitation and other required health facilities made in or adjacent to any public assembly areas; and
- provides for sufficient parking places at the site to accommodate the number of vehicles reasonably expected to be parked or the Applicant has made adequate arrangements for off-site parking and transfer of attendees.
|Permit Application |
Ordinance: Chapter 34, Article 11
Phone Number: 218-5447
Fax Number: 218-7097
|Examples: street fairs, arts and crafts shows, rallies, public entertainments, festivals and races |
- Primarily outdoors
- interfere with normal flow of pedestrian or vehicular traffic
- require special City services, such as street closure, barricades; refuse services, stages, special parking, electrical services or police services or protection.
- an event wholly contained on property specifically designed or suited for the event and which holds a certificate of occupancy for such use – including adequate parking;
- funeral processions.
|Permit Application |
Ordinance Chapter 34, Article III
Phone Number: 218-5566
Fax Number: 218-7088
A gathering, such as a barbeque or picnic, requiring the closure of a residential street.
Block Parties may only be held between 9 a.m. and 10 p.m. A Street Closure Permit will only be issued for six (6) hours.
A Street Closure Permit for a Block Party may be denied if – in the City’s opinion – closing the street would be too disruptive or would leave residents unable to leave or return to their homes (such as on a dead end street). Major thoroughfares are unlikely to be allowed to close.
Ordinance Chapter 34, Article IV
Phone Number: 218-5527
Fax Number: 218-3267
Any assembly, march, demonstration, procession or motorcade upon public streets within the City consisting of three (3) or more persons, animals or vehicles (or any combination thereof) with an intent of attracting public attention that interferes with or has a tendency to interfere with the normal flow or regulation of traffic upon public streets.
- Funeral processions;
- Students going to and from school classes or participating in educational activities, provided such conduct is under the immediate direction and supervision of the proper school authorities, and doesn’t interfere with normal traffic; and
- A government agency acting within the scope of its function.
Reasons permit may be denied:
- Conflicts with a previously scheduled event;
- Violation of ordinance or other laws;
- False, misleading or omitted information in application;
- Applicant has been convicted of violating this Section, has had a Special Event Permit revoked within the preceding twelve (12) months, or has failed to pay any additional costs assessed by the City for a previous Special Event within the previous two (2) years;
- Failure to provide proof of a license or other required permits;
- Interferes with the delivery or performance of normal services, such as fire, police or EMS;
- Failure to provide any required insurance or surety bonds that may be required under this Section;
- Failure to pay any additional costs as may be required by the City Manager or Police Chief;
- Failure to submit a complete Application or additional requested information;
- Disruption of a school when such school is in session.
Some files require a special viewer
- Use the list below to locate the proper program based on file-type:
PDF Adobe Reader
WMV Windows Media