Welcome to the Genealogy and Local History Collection
As part of the library’s mission to provide the highest quality resources and services to a diverse population, the genealogy collection provides a broad and well-rounded collection of research resources for both beginning and experienced family researchers to expand knowledge of their ancestry.
- The collection is located on the east side of the second floor of the library, and is available anytime the library is open.
- The collection is comprised of library owned materials and also houses the collection of the Williamson County Genealogical Society.
- The collection’s focus is on United States genealogy, the Southern states, Texas, and Williamson and surrounding counties.
- Most of the collection does not circulate. However, we do have some beginners' guides that may be checked out. You will find these on the microfilm cabinet. We also have some genealogy materials located in Non-Fiction 929.1 that may be checked out.
- Online subscription databases especially for genealogists, including:
- 1 microfilm/fiche reader/printer and 1 microfilm reader
- 1 designated genealogy computer
- The collection has close to 2,000 printed volumes, over 200 reels of microfilm, and over 150 genealogy periodicals
- Williamson County Records on microfilm
- The Library Catalog can search most printed materials.
- A printed catalog grouped by state is available for you to browse at the library.
Williamson County Genealogical Society
- The majority of the collection is the result of over 20 years of work of the Williamson County Genealogical Society (WCGS).
- The Society has a Library Committee dedicated to the upkeep of current materials and the addition of new materials. The current Library Committee chair is Linda Beebe.
- WCGS holds meetings at 7:30 p.m. on the third Thursday of each month at the library (except August and December). Visitors are always welcome. Use the link above to access their website and list of upcoming programs.
Questions? Contact the Reference Desk
Phone: (512) 218-7000 during regular library hours