Skip to page body Home About Round Rock What's New City Services Library Parks & Recreation Departments
Round Rock, Texas - Purpose. Passion. Prosperity.
  Click here to start search.
Doing Business with the City
Locating a Business in Round Rock
Solicitation Archive
Vendor Registration
Building Inspection
Construction Inspection
Economic Development
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Development Permits, Applications
Open House Signs
Ozone Action Days
Utility Payment Options
Water Conservation
 Locating a Business in Round Rock
Information for small businesses and startups

Licenses | Location | Building & Site Upgrades
Temporary & Mobile StructuresHome Occupations | Resources

Thank you for considering Round Rock as the home for your business.  The City has certain requirements to ensure that public health, safety, and welfare is protected.  We look forward to assisting you in meeting these requirements, as applicable, and answering any questions you may have. 

Below is a list of the general items you need to be aware of when selecting a location for your business.  If you have further concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the Planning & Development Services Department at 512-218-5428.

Business licenses  
By state law, all businesses must file a DBA (Doing Business As) with the County Clerk. Depending on the nature of the business, State and/or County licenses may be necessary (see Resources).

The City of Round Rock requires a permit for alcohol sales from the City Clerk, and building contractors must register with Building Permits & Inspections. There is no fee for contractor registration. Otherwise the City does not require a general business license.

     Williamson County Clerk  512-943-1515
     Round Rock City Clerk  512-218-5404 (alcohol sales)
     Building Permits & Inspections  512-218-5550 (contractor registration) 

Choosing a location  
In order to minimize conflicts with neighboring properties, especially homes, not all businesses are permitted in all areas of the city. The locations where different types of businesses are permitted are described in the Zoning Ordinance and on the Zoning Map. There are also special location restrictions for some business activities, such as for alcohol sales.

The condition of the specific property is also important – for example, a storefront that has enough parking for a retailer may not have enough parking for a restaurant.  For these reasons it is advisable to consult the Planning & Development Services Department before leasing or purchasing a property for your business.

     Planning & Development Services Department (PDS), 512-218-5428   
     Zoning Ordinance (Municode)     
     Zoning Map (pdf) 

Building and site modifications 
If you plan to modify the building and/or site of your business, you may need a permit. For some businesses specific improvements may be required, such as fire sprinklers, electrical or ventilation upgrades, disability access, or additional parking. Contact Building Permits & Inspections and/or Development Services with a description of the proposed work to see what permits and building or site improvements may be required.

Historic properties are also required to have any changes to the exterior, including paint color, approved before obtaining a building permit. Contact the Historic Preservation Office for more information.

     Building Permits & Inspections (building permits) 512-218-5550  
     Development Services Division (site permits) 512-218-6658  
     Historic Preservation Office (historic properties) 512-218-5428  

Temporary/mobile structures  
Businesses in Round Rock must be conducted from a permanent structure, unless associated with a permitted Special Event. Temporary stands are not permitted. Mobile vendors such as ice cream vendors or food trucks are permitted as long as they keep moving when they are not actively serving customers. Contact the Code Enforcement Division for more information.

     Code Enforcement Division  512-218-5429  

Home occupations (home-based businesses)
While some businesses can blend easily into a residential setting, others generate increased traffic, noise and other nuisances that affect neighbors’ enjoyment of their homes. The City's requirements for home occupations are given in the information brochure below; contact the Code Enforcement Division for specific information or concerns. Some homeowners associations (HOAs) do not permit home occupations at all; contact your association directly.

     Home Occupation Information (brochure, pdf)   
     Code Enforcement Division  512-218-5429  


Round Rock Chamber of Commerce 512-255-5805  

Small Business Development Center, Texas State University 512-610-0996  
The SBDC offers free or low-cost classes and individual consultation for establishing, marketing and expanding your small business.

State of Texas: Occupational Licenses & Permits Directory

City of Round Rock 
     Development process flow chart
          (outlines the sequence of processes necessary to develop property)
     Smoking ordinance (Section 14-244)
     Food establishments (Chapter 18)
     Alcoholic beverages (Chapter 4)
     Sexually-oriented businesses  (Sections 6-54 through 6-94)
     Shooting & archery ranges (Section 6-95 through 6-101)

Williamson County Clerk: Records Division (DBA) 512-943-1515   

Williamson County & Cities Health District (WCCHD) 512-943-3600
Food handling inspection & training (restaurants, food service, day care)
New restaurant permitting

Texas Alcoholic Beverages Commission (TABC)
     TABC licensing info  
     TABC District 4 Office 512-451-0231   

US Small Business Administration: ADA Guide for Small Businesses 

Some files require a special viewer - Use the list below to locate the proper program based on file-type:
PDF Adobe Reader ZIP WinZip DOC Word XLS Excel PPT PowerPoint WMV Windows Media

City of Round Rock | 221 East Main Street, Round Rock, Texas 78664 | Phone: (512) 218-5400
©2014 City of Round Rock. All Rights Reserved. | Customer Survey | Site Map | About this website