homepage
Skip to page body Home About Round Rock What's New City Services Library Parks & Recreation Departments
spacer
Round Rock, Texas - Purpose. Passion. Prosperity.
spacer
  Click here to start search.
spacer
Administration
City Attorney
Finance
Fire
General Services
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Human Resources
Inspection Services
Library
Municipal Court
Parks & Recreation
Planning and Development Services
Police
Purchasing
Transportation
Utilities & Environmental Services
Utility Billing
Chisholm Trail Reconstruction and Chisholm Parkway Extension
spacer
 2004 Round Rock City Survey Questions and Results
Print
City's Response to Problems

Every two years, the City of Round Rock conducts a survey of its citizens to see how well the city government is meeting their needs and to determine the issues of concern to them. Below are the specific questions from the survey and the results. Analysis by Jeff Montgomery of Montgomery & Associates.

Sense of Safety

Key survey findings

City Response to Problems
Residents were asked to rate how the city's handling of the following common problems as either excellent, good, fair or poor.

City Response to Problems Graph

Abandoned vehicles
Excellent: 14.8percent
Good: 56.3 percent
Fair: 15.3 percent
Poor: 6 percent
Don't know/No opinion: 7.8 percent

Analysis: As in 1998, 2000, and 2002, the city was ranked best here, with 14.8% saying the city does an excellent job taking care of abandoned vehicles and 56.3% saying it does a good job, for an overall positive rating of 71.1% (in 2002, that number was 68.6%). 15.3% said the job the city does here is only fair, and 6.0% say it is poor, for an overall negative rating of 21.3% (compared to 25.5% in 2002). 7.8% said they didn’t know. In 2002, those living in the SE quadrant gave the city a nine points higher positive rating on that issue than those living in the NE quadrant. This year that situation was reversed: those in the NE quadrant gave a positive rating of 80.3%, 13.7 points higher than the SE quadrant at 66.6%.  

Overgrown lots
Excellent: 10 percent
Good: 48.3 percent
Fair: 28.3 percent
Poor: 9.3 percent
Don't know/No opinion: 4.3 percent
 
Analysis: This year, city handling of lots overgrown with weeds received an overall 58.3% positive (10% excellent, 48.3% good), with a 37.6% negative (28.3% only fair, 9.3% poor). 4.3% had no opinion. That’s nearly identical to 2002’s 58.9% positive and 35.6% negative rating. The city showed improvement in this area in 2002 and 2000, and it has held those numbers steady with no dropoff this year.

Approval of the job the city is doing with overgrown lots was higher in the SW (62.2% positive) and NW quadrants (61.3% positive) compared to the SE quadrant (51.4% positive). Also, those who work in Round Rock had higher approval (66.3%) than those who do not (56.3%). The lowest approval came from those with graduate degrees, who gave the city a 48.7% positive and 44.7% negative rating on this issue.

Enforcing upkeep of private and state-owned right-of-ways
Excellent: 13.8 percent
Good: 47 percent
Fair: 25.3 percent
Poor: 11.3 percent
Don't know/No opinion: 2.8 percent

Analysis: 13.8% say the city is doing an excellent job in enforcing upkeep of right-of-ways, and 47% say the city is doing a good job, for a 60.8% positive rating. That’s up strongly from 2002, when the city received a 49.8% positive rating on this issue. This year, 25.3% said the city was doing an only fair job on this issue, and 11.3% said it was doing a poor job—a total negative rating of 36.6%, down substantially from 2002’s 48.4% negative rating.

In 2002, we changed this question slightly from previous surveys, adding the explanatory phrase “such as keeping them clear of real estate signs and private business signs.” We believe this clarification helped lower the “don’t know” response from 13.8% in 2000 to 1.7% in 2002 and 2.8% this year. But it may also have contributed to the negative rating shooting up 16 points in 2002 compared to 2000. The change this year is not due to language—it seems to reflect a perception of real improvement.

As in all our previous surveys, we saw geographical differences. As in 2002, those living in the NE quadrant gave a more favorable rating than other groups—69.7% positive and 27.6% negative  (compared to 60.8% positive and 39.2% negative in 2002). In 2002, those living in the NW quadrant gave a much worse rating than other groups, with a 61.7% negative rating and only a 35% positive rating. That was not the case this year—their numbers were very close to the overall ratings.

The highest positive ratings came from those with incomes above $100,000 a year (69.7% positive) and those who had lived in Round Rock 3 – 4 years (76.4% positive).

Back to top 

Sense of Safety
We asked respondents, “Do you feel safe walking alone in your neighborhood at night?” Overall, as in all our past surveys, the results were extremely positive: 84.3 percent said yes, only 10.8 percent said no, and 3.8 percent said it would depend. 1.3 percent didn’t know.

We also saw the variations we have come to expect from past surveys. Feelings of safety were higher in the highest income group, at 93.9 percent. Feelings of safety also increased with education, as they have in the past, from 71.9 percent for those with a high school education or less to 92.3 percent for college graduates (this year however we saw a drop among those with graduate degrees, to 82.9 percent). 

Those 55 and older feel less safe than other groups (75.8 percent feel safe), and women feel less safe (76 percent) than men (92.5 percent).

Geographically speaking, respondents in the NW quadrant  felt safest in their neighborhoods (90 percent) and those in the NE felt least safe (78.9 percent--still a very good number). 

As before, these numbers are a very positive sign for Round Rock: the residents in general feel safe in their own neighborhoods.

General quality of life questions
Biggest issues facing the City
Transportation questions
City services questions
City's communication efforts questions

Back to top 


spacer
spacer
City of Round Rock | 221 East Main Street, Round Rock, Texas 78664 | Phone: (512) 218-5400
©2014 City of Round Rock. All Rights Reserved. | Customer Survey | Site Map | About this website