Skip to page body Home About Round Rock What's New City Services Library Parks & Recreation Departments
Round Rock, Texas - Purpose. Passion. Prosperity.
  Click here to start search.
Doing Business with the City
Locating a Business in Round Rock
Solicitation Archive
Vendor Registration
Building Inspection
Construction Inspection
Economic Development
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Development Permits, Applications
Open House Signs
Ozone Action Days
Utility Payment Options
Water Conservation
 Open House Sign Permits

Beginning September 2, 2014, open house sign permits will be issued at the Planning & Development Services (PDS) offices at 301 W. Bagdad Ave. Suite 210 (second floor). Phone: 512-218-5428

About | Rules | Getting a Permit | Approved Locations

Application information:   

  • The license agreement for open house signs is available at the Planning & Development Services office, and must be signed in person.
  • Sign permit order form for additional permit stickers 

Open house sign permits     
When potential buyers are searching for an open house without the assistance of a realtor, they often have difficulty finding the location of the home for sale, and rely on signs posted by the seller for directions to the property. However, one of the goals of the sign ordinance is to keep the City-owned right-of-way1 clear of signs unrelated to traffic or safety. As a solution, the City has created a licensing program to allow open house signs to be displayed in the right-of-way of certain intersections to direct buyers to open houses.

Rules for open house sign permits   

  • Must have obtained license agreement and permit.
  • Sign must display permit sticker. 
  • Sign may only be displayed in specific locations (listed below).   
  • Only one sign per property for sale is allowed at each location. 
  • Sign may only be displayed on Saturdays and Sundays between Noon and 6:00 p.m.  
  • Maximum sign size is 3 square feet. 
  • Sign may only be used to direct buyers to a previously occupied home, not to new construction.   
  • Sign must be for an open house, not to simply announce that a property is for sale. Please include the words "open house."
  • Sign may include only the following information: 1) the words “open house” 2) the realtor’s/seller's name and picture, or “for sale by owner," 3) address of the home for sale, 4) directional arrow.

How to obtain open house permits  
There are two parts to an open house sign permit: the license agreement, and the permit for the sign itself.

  1. The license agreement for open house signs is good for the calendar year, and allows the holder (usually the real estate broker) to place the open house signs on public property, in this case the right-of-way. The agreement form may be filled out ahead of time, but must be signed in person at the PDS office. The fee is $25 and includes one permit. 
  2. The open house sign permit is issued in the form of a sticker to be placed on the sign. If the sign does not have a permit sticker it will be removed. Each permit (after the one included with the license agreement) is $5. Permits are good only during the calendar year issued; if you have permits left at the end of the calendar year, they cannot be used in the next.

Locations where open house signs may be posted   

Open house signs may be posted ONLY where the following arterials intersect a local or collector street:     
A.W. Grimes Blvd.
Bowman Rd.
Creek Bend Blvd.
Double Creek Dr.
Forest Creek Dr. (west side of
    Red Bud Lane/CR 122 only)
Gattis School Rd.
High Country Blvd.
McNeil Rd.
Old Settlers Blvd. 
    (east of Mays St. only)
Red Bud Lane/CR 112
Sam Bass Rd.
Sunrise Rd.
University Blvd.
Wyoming Springs Dr. 

If you have further questions, please contact Savina Gonzalez at 512-218-5428 or [email protected]

Planning and Development Services
301 W. Bagdad Avenue, Suite 210
Round Rock, Texas 78664
Phone: (512) 218-5428
Fax: (512) 218-3286

1 What is a “right-of-way?” For these purposes, the right-of-way is city- or state-owned property for roads and/or utilities. It is almost always wider than the road itself, including sidewalks and utility corridors. In a residential neighborhood the property line between the right of way and the private lot is usually a few feet into the front yard. In some communities the right-of-way is an easement rather than outright ownership.

An approximate location of the property line between the right-of-way and a private lot can be seen on CityView, the city’s online mapping system. This is an approximation; the actual property line can only be determined with a survey.

Some files require a special viewer - Use the list below to locate the proper program based on file-type:
PDF Adobe Reader ZIP WinZip DOC Word XLS Excel PPT PowerPoint WMV Windows Media

City of Round Rock | 221 East Main Street, Round Rock, Texas 78664 | Phone: (512) 218-5400
©2014 City of Round Rock. All Rights Reserved. | Customer Survey | Site Map | About this website