Skip to page body Home About Round Rock What's New City Services Library Parks & Recreation Departments
Round Rock, Texas - Purpose. Passion. Prosperity.
  Click here to start search.
City Attorney
General Services
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Human Resources
Inspection Services
Municipal Court
Parks & Recreation
Planning and Development Services
Utilities & Environmental Services
Utility Billing
 Zoning and Planned Unit Developments

Application Info. | Look Up Zoning | Zoning and Overlays 
Special Standards and Exceptions | PUDs | Deadlines | TIAs | Variances

Submittal information

Please contact Clyde von Rosenberg at (512) 341-3174 regarding zoning questions, or to discuss a zoning proposal before submitting an application.

Application materials


Look up a property’s zoning
The fastest way to look up the zoning of a particular property is to use the CityView (http://maps.roundrocktexas.gov/cityview/) interactive map viewer. CityView has recently reformatted to work with more browsers and mobile devices, and more layers have been added. 

To look up a property's zoning:

  1. Open CityView - Zoning. This link already has the Address, Parcels, Zoning, and Overlay Zoning layers turned on.  
  2. Zoom in to the property and click on the parcel. If you are not zoomed in closely enough addresses will not display and it may select more than one parcel.
  3. A window will pop up with a list of information for each layer that is turned on:  
    • The Zoning layer's window gives the zoning district for the parcel, and includes a link to Zoning Definitions, which will link to the zoning ordinance section for that parcel's zoning district.
    • If the property is zoned as a PUD (Planned Unit Development), refer to the PUDs in Round Rock page for copies of the development agreements. 
    • The list for the Parcels layer includes a link to the Appraisal District's information for that property.

You can also find a parcel's zoning by checking the zoning map (PDF), or contact the Planning and Development Services Department at (512) 218-5428. 

To look up the permitted uses and development standards of a zoning district, refer to the Zoning Ordinance posted online. To look up the development standards of a property with PUD (Planned Unit Development) zoning, refer to the existing PUDs in Round Rock page. If you have further questions, contact Senior Planner Clyde von Rosenberg via email or at (512) 341-3174.

Original zoning and rezoning   
Usually a property receives its first (original) zoning at the same time that its annexed into the city. A few properties may remain unzoned, and are regulated by the standards of the Single-Family - Rural (SF-R) district.

Rezoning is the application of a new zoning district to a previously zoned property. All zoning and zoning changes must be consistent with the City’s Future Land Use Map adopted with the General Plan. The zoning and rezoning review process is explained in the Zoning Information Packet.  Zoning and rezoning cases are reviewed by the Planning and Zoning Commission (P&Z) and the City Council, with public hearings as required by state law.

Base Zoning and Overlay Zoning districts   
The "base" zoning districts (SF-1, C-1, etc.) describe the range of land uses permitted in the district (e.g. retail, office, apartments...) and their development standards (e.g. setbacks, height limits...).

Overlay zoning is an additional set of requirements for use and development of the property. Round Rock has three overlay zoning districts: Historic (H), Chisholm Trail (CT) and Palm Valley (PV). The CT and PV districts give standards for districts with a distinct architectural character; the H district is the means by which the city designates historical properties.  

By Right, Special Standards, and Special Exceptions
Each zoning district lists several categories of permissible land uses. Land uses that are permitted in a zoning district By Right are permitted without further scrutiny. Uses permitted With Conditions are permitted in the district when certain Supplementary Use Standards are met (listed in Section 46-160). Some zoning districts also allow uses by Special Exception when the use may or may not be compatible with surrounding uses, depending on the conditions of the particular site. A Special Exception will only be permitted with the approval of the Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA). Land uses that are not listed are not permitted in the district.

PUDs (Planned Unit Developments)   
A Planned Unit Development (PUD) is a site-specific zoning district tailored to a specific location and use(s).  PUDs allow greater flexibility than standard zoning districts, but the development must be of equal or better quality. PUD agreements are adopted as amendments to the Zoning Ordinance and transfer to subsequent property owners just like any other zoning district. A PUD may be amended, or may be removed by rezoning the property to another zoning district or another PUD. 

A list of existing PUDs in Round Rock is posted online. For application information, contact Senior Planner Clyde von Rosenberg via email or at (512) 341-3174, or refer to the PUD Application Information packet.

Applications are due by noon on the submittal date (see Planning and Zoning Commission schedule). Late, early, and incomplete applications will not be accepted. A staff member will check the application for completeness while the applicant is present; for this reason it is very strongly advised that applications be submitted in person.  If you have questions regarding the zoning application process, contact Diane Buck at (512) 341-3166.

TIA (Traffic Impact Analysis)   
In some cases it will be necessary to include a Traffic Impact Analysis (TIA) with the zoning or PUD application. Contact Transportation Planner John Dean at (512) 218-6617 to determine whether a TIA will be required, or to receive a waiver if it is unnecessary. 

Zoning Variances    
A variance allows for deviations from any numerical standard included in the Zoning Ordinance. Generally, to justify a variance the applicant must demonstrate that a special condition exists, and that complying with a particular standard (e.g. a building setback) would result in substantial hardship. The applicant must also prove that the variance will not be detrimental to public health, safety, or welfare. Variances are reviewed by the Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA) after a public hearing.  For more information, please refer to the ZBA application information packet or contact Kamie Fitzgerald at (512) 671-2702.

Some files require a special viewer - Use the list below to locate the proper program based on file-type:
PDF Adobe Reader ZIP WinZip DOC Word XLS Excel PPT PowerPoint WMV Windows Media

City of Round Rock | 221 East Main Street, Round Rock, Texas 78664 | Phone: (512) 218-5400
©2014 City of Round Rock. All Rights Reserved. | Customer Survey | Site Map | About this website