Skip to page body Home About Round Rock What's New City Services Library Parks & Recreation Departments
Round Rock, Texas - Purpose. Passion. Prosperity.
  Click here to start search.
City Attorney
General Services
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Human Resources
Inspection Services
Municipal Court
Parks & Recreation
Planning and Development Services
Utilities & Environmental Services
Utility Billing
 What To Do About Bats

The Round Rock Animal Control Unit does not provide a bat removal service for buildings in which bat colonies are roosting. Animal Control officers only respond if exposure to rabies is suspected as a result of human/bat contact.  In these cases, they will respond to the scene and impound the individual bat –when possible- for testing purposes.

  • Bats are protected, wild animals and should never be handled.
  • Some bats may be infected with rabies.
  • Not all sick bats are rabid, and not all rabid bats appear sick.
  • If you see a bat inside a building in a location where a person can reach it, or in a room where someone has been sleeping, please contact the Animal Control Unit at 218-5500.

Bats in a building
Bats will generally leave a building on their own, given the chance.

  • To encourage a bat to leave on its own, open windows, turn the lights on, and leave the room, closing the door behind you and keeping children and pets out of the area.
  • If the bat will not leave on its own, do not try to catch it. Contact an Animal Control officer to remove it.
  • If you MUST immediately remove a resting bat from a room (because there is no way to avoid contact with people or pets), put on thick leather glovesand carefully place a wide-mouthed cup, jar, or coffee can over the resting bat, slip a piece of cardboard between the opening and the resting surface, then take the container outdoors to release the bat.
  • Never Handle a Bat—ALIVE OR DEAD—With Your Bare Hands.

Sick or injured bats

  • Bats sleep during the day, so they will be inactive and may appear sick. But, if the bat is on the ground or inactive at night it may be sick or injured.
  • If a bat appears sick or injured then contact an Animal Control officer to capture it. If it is after-hours, an Animal Control officer will only respond if the bat is inside of a house or business.     
  • Keep people and pets away from the bat.

Dead bats

  • There is no danger of rabies from a dead bat if it is not handled.
  • If the bat is in an isolated area where contact with people is unlikely, you can carefully pick it up with a thick piece of newspaper, or scoop it into a coffee can or other container, put it in a bag, and place it in the trash.

If someone is bitten by a bat

  • If a bat comes in contact with a person or pet, call the Animal Control Unit immediately at 218-5500. If it's after-hours, contact the Police Department at 218-5515.
  • If possible, confine or try to keep track of the bat until an Animal Control officer arrives.
  • The Animal Control officer will need the name, address, and phone number of the victim and the victim's personal physician (if known); the address where the incident occurred, and information on how and where the person was bitten.
  • The victim should contact his or her physician as soon as possible, and inform the Animal Control officer of the physician's response.
  • The victim's physician will determine whether or not to initiate post-rabies-exposure treatment, depending on test results.

If your pet catches or kills a bat

  • Confine the bat and call Animal Control (218-5500) for further instructions.
  • Confine the pet, preventing contact with persons or animals outside of the family until test results are received.

If bats have taken up residence

  • If bats are roosting in an attic or similar area, a one-way exit can be constructed which allows them to leave in search of food, but will prevent their re-entry. 

Many pest control professionals can help you with this problem, and Bat Conservation International can provide you with information on how to evict bats yourself. Do not use one-way exits during June and July or flightless young may be trapped inside!


For more information, contact the
Animal Control Unit at 218-5500 or
Bat Conservation International at 327-9721

Some files require a special viewer - Use the list below to locate the proper program based on file-type:
PDF Adobe Reader ZIP WinZip DOC Word XLS Excel PPT PowerPoint WMV Windows Media

City of Round Rock | 221 East Main Street, Round Rock, Texas 78664 | Phone: (512) 218-5400
©2014 City of Round Rock. All Rights Reserved. | Customer Survey | Site Map | About this website