Explorer Post 911 launched in April 2013. The program is designed to give young adults, ages 14-20, an opportunity to learn about the fire service while providing a community service. The Post gives youths the opportunity to explore firefighting and emergency medical services, to determine if it is a career they would be interested in pursuing.
Members not only get a first-hand look at the fire service, they are also given the opportunity to enjoy organized recreational activities, competitive events and community interaction while working in a professional atmosphere. Exploring gives young people the opportunity to develop interpersonal relationships, leadership, and organizational skills. We believe it is a “A Learning For Life” program.
Explorers are exposed to department operations, which includes structural firefighting, emergency medical services, hazardous materials, special rescue, and the 9-1-1 emergency operations center. The Explorer training program includes instruction in the following areas:
- Fire Prevention
- First Aid
- Public Education
The objective of the training is to promote learning, teamwork, leadership and organization with a hands-on approach that allows the member to experience department operations under close supervision.
Fire Explorers enjoy the ride out opportunities the program has to offer.
Approximate costs is $75-$120 ($27 BSA, Uniforms: $50, Optional Certification/Portfolio Route: $30).
Requirements for Membership
- Live and/or go to school in the City of Round Rock or surrounding area.
- Be at least fourteen (14) years of age.
- Be no older than twenty (20) years of age.
- Be enrolled and attending high school, or have graduated from high school.
- Have a minimum of a “C” average, on the most recent grade report.
- Accept the obligation to observe the Explorer Code.
- Accept the obligation to comply with the Department’s and Post’s policies and procedures.
- Have permission from parents and/or legal guardian to participate in the Explorer Program
- Attend weekly Post meetings.
Regular Post meetings will be held the first, and third Tuesday’s of each month at 1800HRS (6:00 pm) to 2000HRS (8 pm). Sometimes 4th Saturday (8am to noon) and other special events like Dell Diamond Firework Show, Public Safety Day, Family Night Out, and Fire Prevention Month events.
For more information, send an email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 512-845-4069.
It is the mission of the Fire Explorer Program to facilitate positive influences on our communities’ youth, and the development of future fire fighters and medics by reaching out to all areas of our community. It is our intent to train, and mentor in the areas of firefighting, medical/first aid, customer service, community service and career development