Reading out loud can be challenging to some readers. For a motivating change of pace, treat your reader to a 10-minute session reading to a therapy dog.
Bow Wow, a partnership between the Round Rock Public Library and the Austin Dog Alliance, is open to children from preschool through 8th grade.
10:30 – 11:30 a.m. on the first and third Saturdays of each month
*Please check our calendar for details and this month’s schedule.
How it works:
- Reading slots are 10 minutes long.
- Online preregistration is required. See the online calendar to register.
- Bow Wow reading dogs are registered therapy animals who volunteer with their owners/handlers as a team.
Appropriate behavior around our therapy dogs:
(parents, please review these guidelines with your children)
- Stay calm and quiet around the dog.
- Always ask for permission before petting the dog.
- Be kind to the therapy dog. Do not pull its tail or ears. Do not put your face in the dog’s face, or lay on the dog.
- Only one child reads to the dog at a time. Your reading group should include only the dog’s handler, the therapy dog, the child reader, and the parent/caregiver. This arrangement makes for a much more enjoyable reading experience for the child.
For more information:
Contact the Children’s Desk, 512-218-7034