Sam Bass Bibliography of Library Materials
- Authentic history of Sam Bass and his gang by a citizen of Denton County. (1878). Denton: Monitor Book and Job Printing Establishment.
- Digesualdo, J. H. and Thompson, K. R. (1985). Historical Round Rock. Austin, TX: Eakin Publications, Inc.
- Gard, Wayne. (c1964). Sam Bass. Lincoln, Neb.: University of Nebraska Press.
- Grisham, Noel. (1968). Tame the restless wind: The life and legends of Sam Bass. Austin, TX: San Felipe Press.
- Martin, Charles. (1968, c1956). A sketch of Sam Bass, the bandit : A graphic narrative : His various train robberies, his death, and accounts of the deaths of his gang and their history. Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press.
- Miller, Rick. (1999). Sam Bass & gang. Austin, TX: State House Press.
- Reed, Paula & Tate, Grover Ted. (c1988). The tenderfoot bandits: Sam Bass and Joel Collins, their lives and hard times. Tucson: Westernlore.
- Webb, Walter Prescott. (1965). The Texas Rangers, a century of frontier defense. Austin, TX: University of Texas Press.
- Webb, Walter Prescott & Eggenhofer, Nicholas. (1971). The Story of the Texas Rangers. Austin, TX: The Encino Press.
- Scarbrough, Clara Stearns. (1973). Land of Good Water. (pp. 294-295). Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers.
Fictional Works in the Library
- Hoskins, Sid. (1994). How I covered Sam Bass : A novel based on the adventures of an intrepid reporter who followed the famous outlaw. Hilton Head Island, SC: Senior Press
- Woolley, Bryan. (1983). Sam Bass, a novel. San Antonio: Corona.
Sam Bass Websites
- Handbook of Texas Online entry for Sam Bass
The Handbook of Texas is a wonderful resource for all things Texas. This entry on Sam Bass was done by Wayne Gard who has also written a book on Bass.
- The Texas Portal to Texas History materials on Sam Bass
The Portal to Texas History operated by the University of North Texas Libraries provides free online access to Texas historical materials.
- Letter from Toney Heis to Governor Roberts, Nov 23, 1881
Part of the Texas State Library’s Archives and Manuscripts available online. The image of this letter is included as well as its transcription and description of the time it was written.
- Sam Bass episode of The Outlaws
Includes cast listing, production information, and air date of the episode.
- Sam Bass History
Part of Len Kubiak’s Texas History webpages. This page consists of 2 pictures, a map, and a concise history of events in Bass’ life.
- Sam Bass on FrontierTimes.com
This site says it is the home of frontier history. The page on Sam Bass is part of the Outlaws series. It gives a brief history, timeline of his life, a picture, and mentions a few books on Bass.
- Sam Bass page on the City of Round Rock, Texas website
- Sam Bass’ wanted notice
This is an image of the reward offered for Sam Bass as well as a transcription of the letter. This is part of the Texas State Library Archives and manuscripts available online.
- Sam Bass song
The Max Hunter Folk Song Collection includes 5 versions of this song that can be played for your listening enjoyment.