Remodels, Finish-outs and/or Additions

Permitting & inspection procedures

Use this process for:

  • hammer_floorResidential remodeling or room additions
  • Commercial finish-outs/tenant changes
  • Residential swimming pools, decks, patios, and sheds
  • Foundation leveling/repair
  • Window or exterior siding replacement
  • Structural demolition
  • Structural relocation (house moving)
  • Any commercial construction that is not new

Please include the following with your application:

  • A completed Permit Application (pdf)
  • Plans (If pages are larger than 11″ x 17″ please include pdf copies on CD or USB flash drive):
    • One complete set of building plans (paper).
    • For commercial projects: Site Plan, energy calculations and an asbestos study, if applicable.
    • For single-family remodels/additions: plans must show any mechanical, electrical, and/or plumbing that will be added or adjusted. Residential garage conversions are only allowed under certain circumstances.
    • For additions, decks, pools and sheds: include a plot plan with the location of the construction drawn in, with dimensions (the plot plan will not be returned so do not send your original copy). If possible, include model numbers or photos. For commercial pools, please include copies of all plans in pdf form on a CD or USB flash drive.
    • For foundation repair: included an engineered foundation plan with the engineer’s seal and signature.
    • If the project is over 5000 sq. ft., the plans must be stamped and signed by an engineer.
  • Energy calculations (ResCheck or ComCheck, 2015)
  • Permit fee, based on valuation (cash or check)
  • An asbestos survey is required if walls are to be removed from a building built before 1990.
  • For commercial projects: Contractor information sheets for all contractors and subcontractors are not required with the application, but must be received before the permit can be released. Fax completed Contractor information sheets to 512-218-5563. Electrical, plumbing and mechanical contractors must be licensed with the State of Texas.
  • For commercial projects valued over $50,000, a Texas Department of License and Regulation (TDLR) project number is required. Contact the TDLR Architectural Barriers Section at 1-877-278-0999 for registry information.

Food service projects:

The Williamson County and Cities Health District (WCCHD) also must review plans for any projects involving food service (including restaurants, bars, food trucks, convenience stores, day care facilities, etc.). The food establishment permit application and food establishment plan review application forms are posted on the WCCHD website with instructions.

Permit review procedure:

After your application is received it will be distributed to all applicable review staff. The reviewers will email their comments directly to the primary contact identified on the application. Responses to the comments should be emailed back directly to the reviewer. Paper redlines may be picked up at the Inspections Services counter.

When all comments have been addressed the permit will be issued and staff will call the applicant to pick up the permit at the Inspections Services counter. Instructions for using the online Automated Inspection Request System will be included with the permit.

Review time varies depending on the complexity of the project and the completeness of the submittal. The average turnaround time from submittal to permit is currently 4-6 weeks for commercial projects or 1-2 days for residential projects.

If any re-inspection fees are assessed, they must be paid before scheduling the final inspection.