Environmental Nuisances

Brush & Rubbish | Weeds | Stagnant Water | Filth | Visual Obstruction

Environmental nuisances present public health and/or safety risks, as well as compromising others’ enjoyment of the city. If a nuisance violation is not corrected within the specified time, the City will hire a contractor to correct the problem at the property owner’s expense, and add an administrative fee. If unpaid, these costs may be secured by a privileged lien on the property.

Below are some of the most common environmental nuisances:

Accumulation of brush and rubbish

(Part II Sections 14-177, 14-178)

Brush & rubbishProblem: Allowing brush, yard trimmings or rubbish to accumulate may attract vermin and can be a fire hazard.

Solution: Dispose of rubbish and yard trimmings promptly:

Round Rock Refuse will remove bagged yard trimmings and a bulk item (mattress, appliance, etc.) with its regular curbside residential service. For details or requests for additional pickup contact Round Rock Refuse at 512-255-4980 or via email.

The Parks & Recreation Dept. operates a brush recycling program, and will pick up brush and yard trimmings for a fee, and bring them to the City’s Recycling Center to be recycled into mulch, which is free to city residents.

Brush, yard trimmings, recyclables, paint, re-use items, and on certain days household hazardous waste may also be brought directly to the Recycling Center at 310 Deepwood Drive. Please refer to the solid waste & recycling web page for hours and what materials are accepted.

Tall grass & weeds

(Part II Sections 14-179, 14-183)

weedylotProblem: Tall Grass and weeds not only make the neighborhood unsightly, but may also create fire hazards, harbor vermin, produce allergens and allow weeds to seed and spread to other properties.

Solutions: Keep lawns and lots mowed to control weeds and keep the lawn healthy. Grass and/or weeds over twelve inches high is considered a code violation. If you have a native landscape and a complaint is filed, you will be asked to produce a landscape plan to show that the yard is indeed landscaped and not just neglected.

Stagnant water

(Part II Sections 14-174, 14-175, 14-178)

stagnantpoolProblem: Stagnant water, in a swimming pool or on the ground, provides breeding areas for mosquitoes and may produce unpleasant odors. Overwatering your yard may cause water to accumulate on a neighboring property downhill.

Solutions: Keep up pool maintenance to prevent fouling of the water. Examine the drainage patterns on your property to identify areas where water may accumulate, and to be sure water is being directed to a storm water channel or drain, not your neighbor’s property.

Accumulation of carrion, filth or unwholesome matter

(Part II Sections 14-176, 14-178)

filthProblem: Decaying or unsanitary waste (usually food waste) creates odors, attracts pests, and may harbor disease.

Solution: Put garbage out for collection regularly. If regular garbage service has been discontinued or is otherwise unavailable, contact Round Rock Refuse at 512-255-4980 or via email to schedule a special pickup. You may also bring garbage to the Williamson County Landfill & Recycling Center (512-759-8881) at 600 Landfill Rd., Hutto.

Small dead animals may be placed in a plastic bag and put out with the regular garbage collection, or may be disposed of by a pest control company. If a dead animal is creating a traffic hazard, contact Animal Control at 512-218-5500.

Hazardous visual obstructions

(Part II Section 14-178)

sight-triangleProblem: Structures or landscaping that obstruct sight lines for drivers and others (typically at street corners), or impedes a public way (e.g. sidewalk).

Solution: Plan and maintain landscaping appropriately. Within 40 feet of an intersection landscape materials are prohibited at eye level (between 3 and 10 feet from grade). Tree trunks are allowed at this height, but no foliage may extend below 10 feet. Refer to guidelines for “sight triangles” in Part III Section 8-10 (e) (8). Fences in the street yard (between the main building and the street) may be no taller than three feet (6 feet for wrought iron).