Chisholm Trail Historic Sites

The Historic Round Rock Collection: An Ongoing History

The Historic Round Rock Collection is a project documenting Round Rock’s history, funded in part with a grant from the Texas Historical Commission.  These pages are adapted from the original 1991 print version.  


 

Historic sites in the Chisholm Trail area

Historic Properties on Chishom Trail Road

Historic Properties on Chishom Trail Road

Round Rock was first established where the Chisholm Trail crossed Brushy Creek.  The low water crossing was marked with a round, table-shaped rock that gave the town its name.  Later the railroad was extended to a location 3/4 mile away, and commercial activity followed.  The area by the station then became known as New Town (now Downtown) and the original settlement as Old Town. Click image to open a larger map.

KeyAddressConstruction Date
AAwald House 20 Chisholm Trail
Dailey Store 18 Chisholm Trail
ca. 1920
ca. 1920
BSellstrom House
14 Chisholm Trail/1 Poker Alley
Built between 1853-1864
Additions 1934 and 1971
CSt. Charles Hotel
Post Office/Harris Store

8 Chisholm Trail
ca. 1867-1870
ca. 1851-1853
DHarris/Ross House
4 Chishom Trail
ca. 1849, later additions
ESansom House
2 Chisholm Trail
pre-1890; probably between 1850-1876
Gutted ca. 1973, enclosed 2006
FInn at Brushy Creek
1000 N. IH-35
ca. 1850-1862, later additions
GMcNabb-Quick House
603 Chisholm Trail
ca. 1853, later additions
HTodd Residence/ Mexican Schoolhouse
716 Chisholm Trail
ca. 1934, demolished 1994
IThe Round Rock