Downtown Historic District

The Historic Round Rock Collection: An Ongoing History

The Historic Round Rock Collection is a project documenting Round Rock’s history, funded in part with a grant from the Texas Historical Commission. These pages are adapted from the original 1991 print version. 


 

The Downtown Historic District

Downtown Historic District (National Register District)

Downtown Historic District (National Register District)

The Round Rock Historic Commercial District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. The district consists of the buildings fronting the 100 and 200 blocks of E. Main Street and the Old Post Office/Masonic Lodge at 107 S. Mays Street. Many of the buildings in the District were built in the late 1800s when the railroad was first extended to the area, stopping just short of the original town of Round Rock on the Chisholm Trail. More information about the history of downtown and its buildings are available in The Story of New Town and Historic Architecture. Click image for larger map.

 

 

 

Key Address Construction Date
1 Old Broom Factory
100 E. Main Street
1880
2 Otto Reinke Building
102 E. Main Street
1879
3 104 E. Main Street 1949
4-5 108 & 110 E. Main Street 1880
6 112 E. Main Street 1880
7 114 E. Main Street 1880, facade replaced ca. 1960
8 116 E. Main Street 1880?
9 Farmers State Bank
118 E. Main Street
1920
10 The Mercantile
200 E. Main Street
1902-1909
11 Economy Drug Store
204 E. Main Street
1902-1909
12 Dr. Dick Gregg’s Office
206 E. Main Street
ca. 1930
13 Palm House/Chamber of Commerce
212 E. Main Street
1873, moved to present location 1973
14 J.A. Nelson Co. 
201-203 E. Main Street
1900
15 Carrington Building
121 E. Main Street
1877
16 119 E. Main Street 1881
17 117 E. Main Street 1891
18 115 E. Main Street 1885
19 113 E. Main Street ca. 1920, extensively altered
20 111 E. Main Street 1916-1925
21 109 E. Main Street 1885
22 105 E. Main Street 1876
23 103 E. Main Street 1876
24 Kopperal’s (Koppel’s) Store
101 E. Main Street
1876
24 Bus Depot
105 S. Mays
25 Old Post Office/Masonic Lodge
107 S. Mays Street
1878