Welcome to the very first blog post from your newly formed Parks and Recreation Environmental Team! This post will serve as an introduction to your team and discuss the team’s mission and goals. The team is made up of a diverse group of individuals spanning the entire parks and recreation department. There are representatives from park planning, forestry, parks management and maintenance, park rangers, aquatics, and outdoor recreation. Each person on the team was hand selected and brings a vast range of experiences and strengths to the team. Together, we developed a strong mission statement: to educate, inspire, and engage the community to create a more resilient city through environmental stewardship and sustainable practices. Within that mission statement, specific goals and objectives (“we will…” statements) were outlined to support our mission.
- We will educate the public to promote awareness of environmental stewardship and sustainable practices through programming, classes, and workshops.
- We will explain how these sustainable practices will also improve people’s quality of life and communicate our objectives to the public through a variety of communication tools.
- We will inspire the public to join our efforts by being a leader in the community by implementing sustainable practices and low-impact development techniques in our parks system.
- We will lead by example and join forces with out City Departments and local organizations to develop cohesive environmentally focused internal policies, practices, and public initiatives.
- Finally, we will provide opportunities for residents to volunteer and participate in environmentally sustainable activities as special events.
Our team really wants to create an atmosphere of collaboration with our community and spotlight the amazing things people in our community are already doing. We know you are out there doing great things and we want to hear all about it! We want to encourage social media interaction and support for the environmental work being done in our community. Feel free to reach out to us via our Facebook page or email Katie Baker, firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to embarking on this journey with you!