This holiday weekend, you can double-dip on savings on products to help you reduce your water use at your home or business. This is the second annual Lawn and Garden Water Smart Tax Holiday!
This Memorial Day Weekend, May 27-29, 2017, consumers can purchase water saving items without paying sales tax. Water saving items, as defined by the Texas Comptroller, can include any plant product, any product with a WaterSense label, mulch, rain water collection systems, and much more! There is no limit to how many items you can purchase.
This holiday was established in 2016 to encourage Texans to be Water Smart! Texas comptroller Glenn Hegar said, “Ensuring Texans have an adequate supply of water is fundamental if we want to continue creating jobs and growing the economy,” he continued. “The Tax Holiday helps Texas consumers be water smart, saving money and water in their outdoor landscapes.”
The categories of products is pretty broad; you can buy items tax free during the holiday that are used or planted for:
- conserving or retaining groundwater;
- recharging water tables; or
- decreasing ambient air temperature, and so limiting water evaporation.
Examples of items that qualify for the exemption include:
- a soaker or drip-irrigation hose
- a moisture control for a sprinkler or irrigation system
- a rain barrel or an alternative rain and moisture collection system
- a permeable ground cover surface that allows water to reach underground basins, aquifers or water collection points
- plants, trees and grasses
- water-saving surfactants
- soil and compost