Information for anyone selected for jury duty for Round Rock Municipal Court.
Jurors are requested to report to Room 120 at the McConico Building, 301 West Bagdad Ave., at the time that appears on their summons. Any juror selected to sit on a jury will be paid $6. Each person in attendance during jury selection will be given a juror verification form for their employer should they need one.
Proper Clothing Required
All persons entering the courtroom should be dressed in clothing reasonably befitting the dignity and solemnity of the courtroom proceedings (for example: shorts, tank tops and T-shirts are not permitted).
Penalty for Defaulting Jurors
A juror shall be fined not less than $100 nor more than $500 if :
- fails to attend court in disobedience to the notice without reasonable excuse
- files a false claim of exemption from jury service (Government Code, section 62.111)
Right to Re-employment
A private employer may not terminate the employment of a permanent employee because the employee serves as a juror. An employee whose employment is terminated in violation of this section is entitled to return to the same employment that the employee held when summoned for jury service if the employee, as soon as practical after release from jury service, gives the employer actual notice that the employee intends to return. (Civil Practice and Remedies Code, section 122.001).
Qualifications (Ch. 480, Sec. 62.102 Government Code)
A person is qualified to serve as a petit juror in Municipal Court if that person:
- is at least 18 years of age
- is a citizen of this state and a resident of the county in which one is to serve as a juror
- is qualified under the constitution and laws to vote in the county in which one is to serve as juror
- is of sound mind and good moral character
- is able to read and write
- has not served as a juror for six days during the preceding three months in the county court or during the preceding six months in the district court
- has not been convicted of theft or any felony
- is not been under indictment or other legal accusation of a misdemeanor theft, felony theft or any other felony charge
- is a resident of the municipality for which the court is established (Government Code, Section 62.501; specific to municipal courts)
NOTE: If you state that you are not a US citizen, you will no longer be eligible to vote if you fail to provide proof of US citizenship to your county voter registrar.
Exemptions (Ch 480, Sec. 62.106 Government Code)
Claiming an exemption is a personal choice, but is not required. A person may claim exemption if that person:
- is over 70 years of age
- has legal custody of a child or children younger than 12 years of age and serving on the jury requires leaving the child or children without adequate supervision
- is a student of a public or private high school
- is a person enrolled and attend college
- is an officer or an employee of the senate, the house of representatives, or any department, commission, board, office, or any agency in the legislative branch of state government
- is the primary caretaker of a person who is an invalid unable to care for him or herself (this exemption does not apply to health care workers)
- have served as a juror in the county during the 24-month period prior to the date you are required to appear for this summons
- have been summoned for service in a county with a population of 250,000 or more, and you have served as a petit juror in the county during the three-year period preceding the date you are to appear for jury service
These are the only legally valid exemptions. Work related excuses are not legal exemptions.
To claim an exemption, please complete the Juror Exemption Request Form and fax, mail or deliver to Round Rock Municipal Court. You will NOT receive phone verification if exemption request is accepted.