Texas shoppers can save on emergency supplies this season during the 2019 Emergency Preparation Supplies Sales Tax Holiday, April 27-29.
Some portable generators, emergency ladders, batteries, radios first aid kits and other items required in an emergency will have no sales tax added during the holiday, which is made possible through the state tax code. A full list of items that are covered by the holiday, including disclaimers and items not included, is available on the Texas Comptroller’s website.
Round Rock’s Emergency Management Division suggests that all residents have a disaster supplies kit on hand that includes basic necessities for their families in the event of an emergency. A basic emergency supply kit should include the following recommended items:
- Water — one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food — at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual can opener for food
Residents are also encouraged to register to receive emergency alerts via phone call, text or email at warncentraltexas.org.