The City of Round Rock, after being approached by Crossroads of Texas Riding Club, installed in April signs on University Boulevard alerting motorists to be aware of motorcylists.
Crossroads is working to increase safety on Central Texas roads, referencing the following statistics from state and federal transportation agencies:
- There are 439,000 registered motorcyclists in Texas.
- 87 percent of motorcycle crashes injure or kill the rider.
- National studies show that a motorcyclist is 5 times more likely to be injured and 25 times more likely to die in a crash.
- In 2011 there were 470 motorcyclists killed in Texas and an additional 5,770 were seriously injured; more than half of these crashes occurred at an intersection, often with the vehicle turning left in front of the oncoming motorcyclist.
- In Texas, about half of crashes in which the motorcyclist died were at intersections, often with the driver of the vehicle reporting they never saw the motorcycle before turning.