On April 17, 2020, Gov. Greg Abbott signed an Executive Order authorizing the re-opening of retail businesses across Texas effective Friday, April 24.
The Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) has offered the following guidance to non-essential retail businesses on how to re-open safely for both employees and customers:
- All employees must be trained on environmental cleaning and disinfection, hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette.
- All employees must be screened before coming into the business for new or worsening cough; shortness of breath; sore throat; loss of taste or smell; feeling feverish or a measured temperature greater than or equal to 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit; or known close contact with a person who is lab-confirmed to have COVID-19. Any employee who meets any of these criteria should be sent home.
- Upon entering the business, employees must wash or sanitize hands.
- All employees must wear face coverings.
- Employees must maintain at least 6 feet separation from one another.
Customers may purchase items from a retail location for pickup, delivery by mail, or delivery to the customer’s doorstep, but may not enter the premises. Customers should always wash or sanitize their hands after transactions.
All payments should be done over the phone or internet if possible, and contact should be minimized if remote payment is not available.
- Purchased items should be delivered by the employee to the backseat or trunk of the customer’s vehicle whenever possible to minimize physical contact with the customer.
- Employees must wash or sanitize their hands after each interaction with a customer, and whenever possible, must disinfect any item that came into contact with the customer.
Retail delivery to customer’s doorstep
- All payments should be done over the phone or internet if possible, and contact should be minimized if remote payment is not available.
- Purchased items should be delivered by an employee or third-party carrier and delivered to the customer’s doorstep. The employee or third-party carrier may not enter the customer’s house or business.
Retail delivery by mail
- All payments must be done over the phone or internet.
- Purchased items should be delivered by mail without customer contact.