Math tutors. Heathcare professionals. Dog trainers. Makers. Who do these these groups have in common?
They are among the collaborators who strengthen the library’s programming and expand the Library‘s offerings beyond the awesome slate of regular programs and services presented by the Youth Services staff.
With the expertise of community partners, the Library can support more learners.
Here are a few examples:
- Volunteers from the Tech Shop have assisted with programming for Teen Tech Week and Teen Tech Club by making LED bracelets, a cell phone magnifying projector, and a guitar made from cardboard that really rocked!
- Mathnasium offered math games and one-on-one math support in the Gallery over Spring Break.
- Scott & White’s nurses fixed the boo-boos of our youngest customers’ teddy bears while offering kids a gentle way to get to know healthcare professionals. Scott & White is sending another team in April for Handwashing 101.
- Dogs from The Austin Dog Alliance help new readers gain read-aloud confidence at Bow Wow sessions two Saturdays each month.
- Fun 2 Learn Code offers free monthly computer programming classes to children ages 8-12.
- The Young Journey Foundation is a new partnership that offers a free performing arts and media program for kids ages 11-15.
- The Library is hosting our first Maker event thanks to a partnership with Lowes, TechShop, Learning Fun 101, and a grant from Pedernales Electric Cooperative. It’s come-and-go fun for the entire family, 4 – 7 p.m. Thursday, April 23.
There are really too many wonderful partners to name them all here. A few other recent collaborators include:
- The Round Rock Fire Department‘s Star Wars Fire Safety Show
- Learning Fun 101 LEGO Robotics showcase
- The Robot Chica class by Latinitas and IBM
- Round Rock ISD’s fine arts displays and concerts
- RRISD‘s early childhood literacy and nutrition classes
- Semillitas de Espanol music and language-learning sessions
- Austin Community College‘s hands-on science program
- Nintendo‘s game release parties
- The Austin Humane Society‘s toy-making session for shelter cats
Thank you to all of these partners! Check out the library’s calendar for all of the programs the library has to offer.