The City of Round Rock offers the following benefits:
- Flexible spending account, retirement, deferred compensation, optional benefits, and an Employee Assistance Program.
- Any City of Round Rock employee who is hired in a permanent full-time position is eligible for health care coverage such medical, dental, and vision through Aetna Insurance.
- Firefighters also receive longevity pay, education pay, certification pay, bilingual pay, and specialty pay (Spec Ops, MSA, Arson, Administrative Assignment etc).
- For more information about the City of Round Rock’s vision plan, please refer to the 2022 Benefits Guide.
- If you have any questions about the benefit program, please contact the Human Resources Department at (512) 218–5490.
Thank you for showing interest in applying for Round Rock Fire Department! We are currently hiring cadets. Learn more and apply at roundrocktexas.gov/jobs.
Application Process for Fire Cadet:
The written exam is divided into two sections. The first section measures non-cognitive traits and includes a portion of personality and biographical data, the second section measures cognitive abilities. The exam also asks job-related questions, but it does not require candidates to have any firefighting experience or knowledge to pass the exam.
The Candidate Physical Ability Test consists of 8 different physical exercises performed one after the other. Stair climb, hose drag, equipment carry, ladder raise/extension, forcible entry, search, rescue, and ceiling breach/pull all must be completed within 10 minutes and 20 seconds.
Candidates are highly encouraged to participate in both the CPAT orientation and practice in order to familiarize themselves with the location of the test as well as the physical demand expected of them. All candidates MUST complete and pass the CPAT Final in order to move on to interviews.
Candidates are highly encouraged to participate in the CPAT Practice to familiarize themselves with the location of the test as well as the physical demand expected of them. All candidates MUST complete and pass the CPAT Final in order to move on to interviews.
All candidates MUST complete and pass the CPAT Final in order to move on to interviews. If a candidate fails the CPAT Final they do NOT continue on.
Interviews are scheduled the week after the CPAT Final and usually take an entire week but may need to be extended into the following week. Candidates sign up for a time slot after passing the CPAT Final or via email.
At the end of the CPAT Final, each passing candidate is handed a background packet. The packet is to be completed and returned to the HR liaison within the Fire Department.
Chief Interviews are scheduled three weeks after the oral interviews to allow time for the background check. The Fire Chief reviews the top-ranked candidates and selects who is being offered the opportunity for a Chief’s interview. During the interview, the Fire Chief determines whether a conditional job offer should be extended.
New Employee Orientation (NEO) is a full day dedicated to teaching new employees about the City of Round Rock, different departments within the city, online employee resources, payroll and leave, risk management, health and safety, benefits and retirement, and other need to knowinformation regarding your firefighting career with Round Rock!
Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age but not thirty-six (36) years of age or older to take an entrance exam and may not be certified as eligible for a beginning position if thirty-six (36) years of age or older at time of job offer.
- Must be Texas Commission on Fire Protection Certified Structural Firefighter
- Texas Department of Health Certified EMT or currently enrolled in a commission approved academy and DSHS approved EMT class
- A copy of certification must be provided by the test date. If possible, please upload the certification to your City of Round Rock application.
- If currently enrolled in an academy or EMT class, include a letter from the coordinator stating anticipated completion date.
- If discharged from the military, the discharge shall not have been under less than honorable discharge.
- Must possess, or have the ability to obtain, an appropriate valid Texas drivers’ license and possess a driving record which meets current City auto liability insurance requirements.
- Must pass a drug screening test and criminal history background review.
Thank you for showing interest in applying for the Round Rock Fire Department, currently RRFD only hires certified TCFP Structure Firefighters, and certified DSHS EMT personnel. Here are a few websites to help you get started and we look forward to receiving your application in the future!
Training Division Contact Information
If you have any questions in regards to Firefighter/EMT training, certifications, transferring certifications from out of state, or health and safety, contact Battalion Chief Gunther von Seltmann.