- Keep an eye on food when cooking
- Move things that can burn away from the stove. This includes dishtowels, bags, boxes, paper and curtains. #FireSafety
- In case of an oven fire, turn off the oven and keep the door closed until it’s cool.
- Turn pot handles toward the back of the stove so no one can bump them or pull them off the stove.
- Be Weather Wise: Learn the weather/climate risks for the area you are traveling to and know what to do before, during and after such events.
- Stay off the road during and after a winter storm until it is safe to do so. Listen to your local authorities.
- When flying, check your flight status and check in times and airline rules before leaving.
- Bring snacks and entertainment for children in case of airport or traffic delays.
- During the winter, keep the proper emergency winter road tools in your vehicle such as an ice scraper, shovel, gloves, blanket, emergency flares or reflectors, rock salt or kitty litter, first aid kit, extra windshield washer fluid, etc.
- Are you taking your pets with you for the holidays? Add a few emergency items for your pets, like a pet sweater, water and food www.ready.gov/pets #SafeTravels
- Be patient when looking for a parking space. Park your car in a well-lit area and not next to a large vehicle.
- Hide packages in your trunk or out of sight.
- Look around your vehicle before approaching-be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep your purse close to your body, or your wallet in your inside coat pocket.
- Use only one credit card to shop, so in case something occurs, you only have to cancel one card.
- Shop securely online over the holidays-stick to retailers you know.
- Refrain from using public wi-fi when you are making online purchases.
- Don’t fight over an item, and if the deal seems to good to be true, it probably is!
- Make a communications plan with your family and friends while you’re together during the holidays.
- Turn off holiday lights at night or when you leave the house.
- Keep candles away from flammable materials.
- Keep your Christmas Tree watered, don’t let your holiday tree dry out. https://youtu.be/xr6b9b8FYKk