BENEFITS AND APPLY
The City of Round Rock has a population of more than 130,000 citizens who consistently give high approval ratings for their public safety and Fire Department. We enjoy united support from City Hall and our City Council. Our community works together in a collaborative effort to maintain a high quality of life. In Round Rock, you are not just joining a department, you are joining a city and community that works together as a team. You are part of the family.
Round Rock Fire Department offers competitive salaries, yearly step raises, medical, dental, vision, longevity pay, education pay, certification pay, bilingual pay, specialty training and advancement opportunities.
The City of Round Rock offers the following benefits:
- Retirement through the Texas Municipal Retirement System (7% with a 2:1 match), deferred compensation, Employee Assistance Program , and other optional benefits.
- Any City of Round Rock employee who is hired in a permanent full-time position is eligible for health care coverage including medical, dental and vision.
- Firefighters also receive longevity pay, education pay, certification pay, bilingual pay and specialty pay.
- For more information about the City of Round Rock’s health care benefits, please refer to the 2022 Benefits Guide.
- If you have any questions about the benefit program, please contact the Human Resources Department at (512) 218–5490.
Thank you for showing interest in applying for Round Rock Fire Department! The application period for Fire Cadets is currently closed; be sure to check back in the future for more opportunities. Civilian jobs are posted at roundrocktexas.gov/jobs.
Testing Process for Fire Cadet
Job postings for Fire Cadet generally stay open for 60 days. From Step 1 through Step 8 below, the application process takes approximately 13 weeks. Applicants with extended travel times may be able to complete this process with as little as two on-site visits.
The Candidate Physical Ability Test consists of 8 different physical exercises performed one after the other. Stair climb, hose drag, equipment carry, ladder raise/extension, forcible entry, search, rescue, and ceiling breach/pull all must be completed within 10 minutes and 20 seconds. Participation is optional but highly encouraged.
The written exam is divided into two sections. The first section measures non-cognitive traits and includes a portion of personality and biographical data, the second section measures cognitive abilities. The exam also asks job-related questions, but it does not require candidates to have any firefighting experience or knowledge to pass the exam. A minimum score of 70 percent is required to move on in the process.
Candidates are highly encouraged to participate in one or both of the CPAT Practices to familiarize themselves with the location of the test as well as the physical demand expected of them. Participation is optional. Failure during a CPAT Practice does not eliminate a candidate from the application process.
All candidates MUST complete and pass the CPAT Final in order to move on to interviews. If a candidate fails the CPAT Final they do NOT continue on in the application process.
Background checks take place prior to interviews. The background check includes criminal history, driving record, drug usage, employment history and references.
Candidates can sign up for a time slot for interviews after passing the CPAT Final. The oral interview will be conducted by a panel and is intended to determine whether the candidate is a good fit for the organization. Business attire is encouraged.
The Fire Chief interviews the top-ranked candidates following oral interviews. During the interview, the Fire Chief determines whether a conditional job offer will be extended.
Candidates who receive a conditional job offer will need to complete a two-stage physical prior to first day of employment.
In order to apply for the Fire Cadet position, candidates must meet the following initial requirements:
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age to take the written exam and may not be thirty-six (36) years of age or older at the start of employment
- Be a graduate of an accredited high school or have an equivalency certificate
- Must possess, or have the ability to obtain, an appropriate valid Texas drivers’ license and possess a driving record which meets current City auto liability insurance requirements
- If prior military service, must have concluded with an honorable discharge and requires form DD-214 for verification
- Be authorized to work in the United States
Thank you for showing interest in applying for the Round Rock Fire Department, currently RRFD only hires certified TCFP Structure Firefighters, and certified DSHS EMT personnel. Here are a few websites to help you get started and we look forward to receiving your application in the future!