The genealogy collection provides a broad and well-rounded collection of research resources for both beginning and experienced family researchers to expand knowledge of their ancestry.
- The collection is located on the east side of the second floor of the library, and is available anytime the library is open.
- The collection is comprised of library owned materials and also houses the collection of the Williamson County Genealogical Society.
- The collection focuses on United States genealogy, the Southern states, Texas, and Williamson and surrounding counties.
- Most of the collection does not circulate. However, we do have some beginners’ guides that may be checked out. You will find these on the microfilm cabinet. We also have some genealogy materials located in Non-Fiction 929.1 that may be checked out.
Online subscription databases especially for genealogists, including:
- HeritageQuest Online for home or in-library use (with valid library card)
- Ancestry Library Edition, library use only
- Fold3 for home or in-library use (with valid library card)
- Historic Map Works for home or in-library use (with a valid library card)
- Austin American Statesman
- New England Historic and Genealogical Society
We have compiled a list of useful websites grouped by different categories. They include: must see genealogy websites, vital records websites, genealogy library websites, Texas genealogy & local history websites, and websites on our surrounding counties.
Williamson County Genealogical Society
- The majority of the collection is the result of over 20 years of work of the Williamson County Genealogical Society (WCGS).
- The Society has a Library Committee dedicated to the upkeep of current materials and the addition of new materials. The current Library Committee chair is Jacquie Wilson.
- WCGS holds meetings at 7:30 p.m. on the third Thursday of each month at the library (except August and December). Visitors are always welcome. Use the link above to access their website and list of upcoming programs.
Questions? Contact the Reference Desk at 512-218-7000.