The Legacy Lab is a digital preservation service that the Round Rock Public Library offers to the community to preserve their family histories and other personal documents.
The Lab features one flatbed scanner for scanning fragile and/or oversized items and photos. The maximum scanning area of the flatbed scanner is 12×17 inches. The other scanner is for quick scanning standard sized documents.
Legacy Lab Policies
- A Round Rock Public Library card is required to use the Lab. A user agreement form must be signed before using the Lab for the first time. The form includes other policies not mentioned below.
- Use of the Lab – To use the Lab, customers must watch an orientation video, sign a release form, and make a reservation up to 30 days in advance and no less than 72 hours in advance. Users must be 18 years of age or older.
- Length of a Lab Visit – Customers may reserve the lab for up to 2 hours per day and no more than twice a month.
- User Liability – The individual signing the Lab Agreement form assumes all responsibility for damage to the Lab or its contents. Should damage occur, the individual will be promptly billed for the full monetary cost to restore the Lab to its pre-use state, and the individual’s library card will be blocked for all library services until payment in full is received.
- Liability Limitation – All users agree to hold the Round Rock Public Library and any associated partners harmless from any and all claims, losses, damages, obligations, or liabilities directly or indirectly related to the use of any Legacy Lab resources.
- Saving Your Files – Patrons must provide their own USB drives for copying converted files. The Library does not provide USB drives or hard disk storage for any user, nor will the Library store a patron’s physical materials or save any scanned files for later transfer as the Lab computer is reset after each reboot and files stored there will be deleted and not saved.
- Staff Assistance – Basic information about the Lab resources can be provided by staff. Users are expected to know enough about computers and scanners to successfully complete their own scanning as staff are not available to provide one-on-one scanning assistance.
The Lab is to be used for the purpose of digitizing personal/family collections or materials of a civic, cultural or educational purpose. The Lab may not be used for commercial or fundraising intents. Copyright law prohibits copying commercially available materials, and violators will lose future privileges.
Booking an Appointment
Booking an appointment is available at the Legacy Lab appointment webpage. The days and times for available appointments may be found on that webpage and you may choose your day and time from the available appointment times.
What to Bring to Your Appointment
- Your Round Rock library card.
- USB storage drive – USB flash drive, external hard drive (preferably with USB 3.0 capability for faster saving and a drive with a minimum of 16GB available storage space).
- Materials you want to scan.
- Have mold or mildew on them.
- Materials that may smell musty or like vinegar.
- We want to preserve the equipment for all users to enjoy and to prevent the transfer and spread of mold and mildew to materials brough in by other Lab users.