Street Lamp Plaques

In the 1970s the City decided to celebrate its history by installing old-fashioned streetlamps in its historic downtown. As a fundraiser for the project, residents were invited to sponsor a streetlamp in honor of influential citizens and loved ones, who would be memorialized with a plaque attached to the lamp post. The streetlamps were dedicated at a ceremony on April 27, 1975.

The streetlamps have since been replaced, and the dedication plaques have recently been re-mounted on the new posts. The plaque texts are posted below, or you can see them in person on your next trip to the Downtown Commercial Historic District.

Dedication plaque photos and text

201 E. Main Street

Oliver J. “Bud” Carlson
Feb. 13 1899 – Nov. 17, 1972
Native of Round Rock,
Member of Palm Valley Lutheran Church
Lumber – Hardware – Builder
Active in Civic Life

Bronze plaque on a brick wall honoring Walter F. Henna, with nearby glass doors reflecting trees, a street light, and the street; partial text CUISANS visible on the doors, marking this site of dedication.

101 E. Main Street

Walter E. Henna
Dec. 11, 1884 – Nov. 21, 1969
Merchant, Civic Leader
County School board
President Williamson County O.S.A.
President of Texas Hardware Convention
Admired and Respected by His Fellowmen

A dedication metal plaque with the name Helmer Johnson and dates is mounted on a pole, resembling a street light, in front of a store window that displays Day Spa signage in the downtown area.

200 E. Main Street

Helmer Johnson
Oct. 30, 1896 – April 14, 1971
Grocer
Member Palm Valley Lutheran Church
School Board

A brass plaque honoring Den Herring Kavanaugh, 1879–1937, editor and publisher of the Round Rock Leader from 1929–1937, stands in dedication on a post near a brick wall and blue-framed windows, adjacent to a vintage street light.

118 E. Main Street

John Herring Kavanaugh
1879-1957
Owner, Editor & Publisher of
Round Rock Leader
1929-1957

Bronze historical marker mounted on a black post in front of a stone building with windows, doors, and a sidewalk. Set in the heart of downtown, the marker stands near a classic street light, with trees, a parked vehicle, and street visible in the background.

121 E. Main Street

In Memory of Rev Theo Kreinke
and In Honor of Mrs. Anita Kreinke
Served Williamson County
Lutheran Congregations from 1912-1929
Superintendent of Trinity Lutheran Homes
1929-1945
School Board Member
1932-1954, President 20 years

A bronze memorial plaque honoring John W. Ledbetter is mounted on a stone wall in the downtown area, with engraved text recognizing his dedication, service, and achievements.

100 E. Main Street

John W. Ledbetter
Descendent of Pioneer Family
Postmaster and Postal Employee 1932-1965
Church and Civic Leader
President of Fire Department
President Williamson County O.S.A.
Received Outstanding Citizen Award

A bronze plaque honoring Thomas Edward Nelson is mounted on a lamp post. In the background, a building labeled Round Rock City Hall is visible. The plaque lists Nelson’s dates and community roles, commemorating his lasting impact through this meaningful donation to the community.

 211 E. Main Street

Thomas Edward Nelson
Feb. 7, 1888 – Dec. 15, 1951
Banker, Farmer and Rancher
Member of
Palm Valley Lutheran Church,
City Council and School Board

Plaque honoring Mr. O.F. Perry, former teacher, coach, principal, and superintendent of Round Rock Independent Schools, 1931–1957, mounted on a lamp post in front of a stone building as a dedication to his years of service.

Round Rock Library, 216 E. Main Street

In Honor of Mr. O.F. Perry
Former Classroom Teacher,
Coach, Principal and
Superintendent of
Round Rock Independent Schools
1931-1957

Mr. Perry was a 1994 Local Legend

Scroll to Top