Zoning and PUDs

Zoning and PUD Applications

Please contact Alice Guajardo at 512-341-3174 regarding zoning questions, or to discuss a zoning proposal before submitting an application. If you have questions regarding the zoning application process, contact Cecilia Chapa at 512-671-2727.

Applications are due by noon on the submittal date. Late, early, and incomplete applications will not be accepted. A staff member will check the application for completeness while the applicant is present; for this reason it is strongly advised that applications be submitted in person. 

A Planned Unit Development (PUD) is a site-specific zoning district tailored to a specific location and use(s).  PUDs allow greater flexibility than standard zoning districts, but the development must be of equal or better quality. PUD agreements are adopted as amendments to the Zoning Ordinance and transfer to subsequent property owners just like any other zoning district. A PUD may be amended, or may be removed by rezoning the property to another zoning district or another PUD.

A list of existing PUDs in Round Rock is posted online. For application information, contact Alice Guajardo at 512-341-3174 , or refer to the PUD Application Information packet.

Contact Transportation Planner Ed Polasek at 512-341-3167 for Roadway Impact Fee and Traffic Impact Analysis information.

The fastest way to look up the zoning of a particular property is to use the CityView interactive map viewer. CityView has recently reformatted to work with more browsers and mobile devices, and more layers have been added.

To look up a property’s zoning:

  1. Open CityView – Zoning. This link already has the Address, ParcelsZoning, and Overlay Zoning layers turned on.
    • To display the list of available layers, click the Layers icon in the upper right corner.
    • To display the Legends for the active layers, click Legend at the top of the layer menu.
  2. Zoom in and click on the parcel. If you are not zoomed in closely enough addresses will not display and the tool may select more than one parcel.
  3. A window will pop up with a page of information for each layer that is turned on. If there is more than one page, the window will indicate which page (e.g. 1 of 2), and there will be an arrow in the upper right corner to go to the next page.
    • The list for the Parcels layer includes a link to the Appraisal District’s information for that property.
    • The Zoning layer’s page gives the zoning district for the parcel. The Zoning Definitions link goes to the zoning ordinance section for that district.
    • If the property is zoned as a PUD (Planned Unit Development), there will be a link to the PUD development agreement.

You can also find a parcel’s zoning by checking the zoning map (PDF), or contact the Planning and Development Services Department at 512-218-5428.

To look up the permitted uses and development standards of a zoning district, refer to the Zoning and Development Code posted online. To look up the development standards of a property with PUD (Planned Unit Development) zoning, refer to the existing PUDs in Round Rock page. If you have further questions, contact Senior Planner Alice Guajardo at 512-341-3174.

A variance is an exception to a building or development standard (for example reducing the front building setback so that a house can be built forward on the lot to accommodate a protected large tree in the back yard). A Special Exception is a use that may be allowed in a zoning district if it is determined that this particular instance will not have an adverse effect. For more information, please refer to Zoning and Development Code Article VII: Variances, Administrative Adjustments, and Special Exceptions.

To apply for a special exception or variance, please refer to the ZBA Packet. A pre-application appointment is required prior to submitting an application. To schedule an appointment, contact Alice Guajardo at 512-341-3174. 

Variances and Special Exceptions are decided by the Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA). The Zoning Board of Adjustment does not have a regular meeting schedule but holds public meetings when required to address an application. Upcoming meetings are posted on the city calendar at least 14 days in advance. Agendas, minutes and meeting videos are posted on Round Rock Replay. For more information, contact Cecilia Chapa at 512-671-2727.

Scroll to Top