Building Inspection

About us

The City of Round Rock Building Inspection Division is dedicated to professional excellence and customer satisfaction by providing for the health and safety of the community through the development and enforcement of the City’s Building Code, the Code of Ordinances and other related codes. 

The Building Inspection Division operates under a one-permit system. The permit becomes null and void if authorized work or construction is not commenced within 6 months. 
All contractors and subcontractors applying for a Building Inspections permit must be registered. No registration or annual fee required.  

Inspection Services

James Shine,

James Shine
Building Official

Inspection Services

When do I need a building permit?

City of Round Rock building permits are required for work within the city limits and in the Chandler Creek and Vista Oaks Municipal Utility Districts. Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, erect, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, install, replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, plumbing or change the occupancy of a building or structure, requires a permit. Still not sure whether your project requires a building permit? Contact our Development Technicians at 512-218-5550.


Inspection Services Division Office

512-218-5550 – Office Hours: 7:00 am – 4:00 pm 

James Shine, Building Official 512-218-5550
Gary Lawrence, Asst. Building Official 512-845-5946

Intake Staff:  512-218-5550
Isabella Morales, Commercial Development Technician 512-218-5551
Jennifer Esparza, Residential Development Technician 512-671-2889

Building Plan Examiners:
Commercial: Walter Holbert, 512-671-2763
Residential: Jorge Scott, 512-218-5550 

Commercial Inspectors:
Bryan Fails, Chief Plumbing Inspector 512-845-6249
Jimmy Spencer, Chief Electrical Inspector 512-470-9507
Amos Harrison, Chief Structural Inspector 512-639-0218
Josh Patterson, 737-320-9127
Michael Burt, 737-235-0455

Residential Inspectors:
Alex Rodriguez, Chief Residential Inspector 512-639-3005
Ferdinand Abadiano, 512-568-7829
Joshua Gonzales, 512-639-3050 
Paul Moran, 512-688-9024 
Lance Musslewhite, 737-340-7822 

Civil Inspectors
Matt Krueger, Chief Civil Inspector 512-748-9092
Chris Cervenka, 512-639-6760
Mike Dekeyrel, 512-673-8704   
George Grondin, 512-639-9497
Lane Imken, 512-647-0807   
Riley Pekar, 737-349-53396

The Williamson County and Cities Health District (WCCHD) also must review plans for any projects involving food service (including restaurants, bars, food trucks, convenience stores, day care facilities, etc.). The food establishment permit application and food establishment plan review application forms are posted on the WCCHD website with application instructions.

Certificates of Appropriateness are Required Prior to Issuance of a Building Permit.

Properties required to undergo historic review are identified with Historic Overlay Zoning. Alterations to all structures or sites with Historic Overlay Zoning require a Certificate of Appropriateness prior to the issuance of a building permit. Historic review applies to all structures on a site, including fences and accessory structures.

Preservation staff are available to discuss projects on all historic-age properties (even those without historic overlay zoning) and can provide technical references that are available to help avoid damage. Contact the Planning and Development Services desk at 512-218-5428 to discuss alterations to a historic property and/or the Certificate of Appropriateness process.

Gas (ATMOS) : 1-888-460-3030

Electricity (ONCOR): 1-866-797-4839

Water Utility Billing (CORR): 512-218-5460



Scroll to Top