Open House Signs



Open house sign permits

One of the goals of the sign ordinance is to keep the City-owned right-of-way1 clear of signs unrelated to traffic or safety. Over 6,000 “bandit signs” are confiscated from the right-of-way each year.

However, when potential buyers are searching for an open house without the assistance of a realtor, they often have difficulty finding the location of the home for sale and rely on signs posted by the seller for directions to the property. As a solution, the City has created a licensing program to allow open house signs to be displayed in the right-of-way of certain intersections to direct buyers to open houses. This program is described below and in the Open house sign permit brochure.

How to obtain open house sign permits

The open house sign permit is issued in the form of a sticker to be placed on the sign. If the sign does not have a permit sticker it will be removed. Each permit (after the one included with the license agreement) is $5. Permits are good only during the calendar year issued; if you have permits left at the end of the calendar year, they cannot be used in the next.

Rules for displaying open house signs

  • Sign must be for an open house, not to simply announce that a property is for sale. Please include the words “Open House.”
  • Sign may only be used to direct buyers to a previously occupied home, not to new construction.
  • Sign may include only the following information: 1) the words “Open House” 2) the realtor’s/seller’s name and picture, or “for sale by owner,” 3) address of the home for sale, 4) directional arrow.
  • Must have obtained license agreement and permit.
  • All signs must display permit sticker.
  • Sign may only be displayed in certain locations (listed below).
  • Only one sign per property for sale is allowed at each location.
  • Sign may only be displayed on Saturdays and Sundays between Noon and 6:00 p.m.
  • Maximum sign size is 3 square feet. 

Locations where open house signs may be posted

  • Open house signs may be posted on local or collector streets within a neighborhood.
  • Open house signs may be posted where one of the following arterial streets intersects a local or collector street:
    • EXCEPT open house signs may not be posted where these arterial streets intersect a highway, interstate, or another of these listed arterials.
  • A.W. Grimes Blvd.
  • Bowman Rd.
  • Creek Bend Blvd.
  • Double Creek Dr.
  • Forest Creek Dr. (west side of
    Red Bud Lane/CR 122 only)
  • Gattis School Rd.
  • Greenlawn (south of Gattis only)
  • Hesters Crossing
  • High Country Blvd.
  • McNeil Rd.
  • Old Settlers Blvd. (east of
    Mays St. only)
  • Red Bud Lane/CR 122
  • Sam Bass Rd.
  • Sunrise Rd.
  • University Blvd.
  • Wyoming Springs Dr.

If you have further questions, please contact the Inspection Services desk at 512-218-5550.

Planning and Development Services

301 W. Bagdad Avenue, Suite 100
Round Rock, Texas 78664
Phone: (512) 218-5550
Fax: (512) 218-5563

1 What is a “right-of-way?” For these purposes, the right-of-way is city- or state-owned property for roads and/or utilities. It is almost always wider than the road itself, including sidewalks and utility corridors. In a residential neighborhood the property line between the right of way and the private lot is usually a few feet into the front yard. In some communities the right-of-way is an easement rather than outright ownership.

An approximate location of the property line between the right-of-way and a private lot can be seen on CityView, the city’s online mapping system. This is an approximation; the actual property line can only be determined with a survey.

Scroll to Top