Development FAQ



Development Process

Q: What is the development process like in the City of Round Rock?
A: Each project begins with a pre-submittal meeting with representatives from different city departments to answer the prospective applicants’ questions and advise them of the code requirements and other known information. A Case Manager is assigned to each project once the pre-submittal meeting is requested. Projects will then move through the platting, site/subdivision review and permitting process, as applicable. We invite you to review the development process for information regarding the necessary steps as well as forms and packets involved in developing a site or subdivision in the City of Round Rock.

Q: What is a Case Manager?
A: Case Managers are active reviewers assigned to each project and serve as the single point of contact for the applicant from the pre-submittal meeting through the pre-construction meeting. The Case Manager will issue pre-submittal meeting minutes, all permit review comments, and permit approval. The Case Manager will have a knowledge of the project status at any point in the overall life of the project.

Q. Is a pre-submittal meeting required?
A. Yes, a pre-submittal meeting is required for all proposed development. After the pre-submittal meeting, the Case Manager will create minutes from the meeting that serve as a useful guide throughout the development process.

Q. How long are the pre-submittal meeting minutes valid?
A. Pre-submittal meeting minutes serve as the official record of the pre-submittal meeting for each project, and are valid for six (6) months.

Q. When can I submit my plans?
A. Submittals are accepted Monday through Friday during regular operating hours.  No appointment necessary.   Planning and Zoning Commission submittals are accepted in accordance with the schedule found here.

Q. Do I have to submit a letter of transmittal?
A. Yes, a Letter of Transmittal is required for all submittals delivered to the Planning & Development Services counter.

Q. What fees are associated with conducting development in Round Rock?
A. The fees associated with development can be found on the City website here.

Subdivision Improvement Plans

Review the subdivision improvement permit packet for information regarding the application and submittal requirements.

Q. When do I need subdivision improvements for a project?
A. Subdivision improvements are required for any site that is not served with water, wastewater, street, drainage, or storm sewer improvements.

Site Development Plans

Review the site development permit packet for information regarding the application and submittal requirements. A preliminary site dimensional plan is required prior to the first full submittal.

Q. Did you receive my plans?
A. Once plans are received they are entered into the City’s land management system. This information is searchable by the public through the Permit Portal. The project is searchable via the permit/project number, address, project name, or by description (permit name).

Q. What is the procedure for a formal revision for a modification to plans?
A. Revisions are changes to an approved permit. The changes need to be proposed by the engineer-of-record, and the proposed changes need to be reviewed and approved by the engineering reviewer before the permit can be revised. The proposed changes to design or other permitted information must be clouded with descriptive entries made to the revision block on each affected sheet. An abbreviated set containing the coversheet and the revised sheets are then submitted to the reviewer for their review and approval.  Once reviewer comments have been addressed, the reviewer will approve the revision by signing the coversheet revision block, stamp all of the revised sheets, and then update the online permit tracking system with the permit revision.

Engineering Practices

Q. Where can I get copies of As-Built plans in the area I’d like to develop?
A. Contact the Archive Documents & As-Built Plans specialist at 512-218-6604 or via email.

Q. What is the ultimate 100-year flood plain?
A. The ultimate 100-year (or 1% annual chance) floodplain is the City-regulated fully developed100-year flood plain that assumes ultimate build out (fully developed) conditions in the contributing drainage basin.

Q. Can I participate in Regional Detention?
A. If you can demonstrate conveyance of your un-detained developed flows to a point of interest downstream without adversely affecting property along the way, the City will consider your request to participate in RSMP.

Q. Where can I find the city-approved Design and Construction Standards (DACS)?
A. The DACS may be viewed on the City website here.

Q. Where can I get a copy of all City-approved details?
A. City-approved details can be viewed on the City website here.

Building Permits

Q. How do I get a building permit?
A. For building permits see the Building Inspection Division’s permitting information.

Q. When can I apply for a building permit?
A. After you receive review comments from the first full site development permit submittal.

Temporary Certificate of Occupancy

Q. How do I calculate the fiscal for my TCO Performance Bond?
A. All outstanding public and private items multiplied by 120%.

Q. Can I post fiscal for the landscaping?
A. Yes you can in certain situations

Q. How long does it take to obtain a temporary certificate of occupancy?
A. This process typically takes 1 week to complete.

Certificate of Occupancy

Q. How do I get a Certificate of Occupancy (C.O.)?
A. All improvements under the permit must be constructed, inspected, and passed. Building and Fire final inspections must be performed and passed. All closeout paperwork, e.g. recorded easement dedications, maintenance bond issuance, AS-BUILT review, etc. must be complete.  For projects with a subdivision improvement permit or site development permit, the Certificate of Occupancy requires sign off by Building Inspections, 512-218-5550 and Development Services, 512-341-3161.

Close-Out Process

Q. How long does the project close out process take?
A. This process varies depending on the project. It is recommended to allow 6-8 weeks to complete this process.

Q. What should a typical close-out cost letter reference?
A. Fill in the total cost of street, drainage, water and wastewater public improvements on the sample letter that is provided in the closeout meeting and available on the City website.  The cost letter is submitted by the engineer or owner and must have attached a list of quantities, unit price and the total of public improvements within easements and rights-of-way that will be accepted by the City for maintenance. This will include water mains, wastewater mains, fire hydrants, and water meters. The letter will exclude all fire sprinkler leads, private plumbing, and other items to be privately maintained.

Scroll to Top