Temporary Use Permit

What is a temporary use permit and when is it required?

A Temporary Use Permit will temporarily allow some uses in zoning districts where they would otherwise not be permitted. Examples include temporary buildings used during remodeling, and seasonal uses, such as Christmas tree sales that would not otherwise be permitted.

Short-term events such as carnivals, block parties, festivals, or anything involving a street closure should request a Special Event Permit from the Special Event Coordinator.

Application and references


Application information

To request a Temporary Use Permit, please complete the Temporary Use Permit application and return it to the Planning & Development Services Department with the $50 application fee. Include a sketch site diagram indicating signs, structures, fences/enclosures and parking. Please allow at least two weeks for the application to be processed. Approval is at the discretion of the Zoning Administrator.

Signs promoting the temporary use (per Section 30-19):

  • Signs are only permitted on the site of the event and may not be placed in the right-of-way;
  • One sign is permitted per road frontage;
  • Maximum size is 40 sq. ft. per sign;
  • Signs may be posted up to 30 days before the beginning of the event and must be removed within 7 days after the conclusion of the event.

If you have questions about applying or are unsure whether you will need a Temporary Use Permit, contact Kerstin Harding at 512-218-5421.

Scroll to Top