Zoning and PUDs

Application Info. | Look Up Zoning | Zoning and Rezoning | Overlay Zoning
Special Standards and Exceptions | PUDs | Deadlines | TIAs | Variances

Submittal information

Please contact Clyde von Rosenberg at 512-341-3174 regarding zoning questions, or to discuss a zoning proposal before submitting an application.

Application materials


Look up a property’s zoning

The fastest way to look up the zoning of a particular property is to use the CityView interactive map viewer. CityView has recently reformatted to work with more browsers and mobile devices, and more layers have been added.

To look up a property’s zoning:

  1. Open CityView – Zoning. This link already has the Address, Parcels, Zoning, and Overlay Zoning layers turned on.
    • To display the list of available layers, click the Layers icon in the upper right corner.
    • To display the Legends for the active layers, click Legend at the top of the layer menu.
  2. Zoom in and click on the parcel. If you are not zoomed in closely enough addresses will not display and the tool may select more than one parcel.
  3. A window will pop up with a page of information for each layer that is turned on. If there is more than one page, the window will indicate which page (e.g. 1 of 2), and there will be an arrow in the upper right corner to go to the next page.
    • The list for the Parcels layer includes a link to the Appraisal District’s information for that property.
    • The Zoning layer’s page gives the zoning district for the parcel. The Zoning Definitions link goes to the zoning ordinance section for that district.
    • If the property is zoned as a PUD (Planned Unit Development), there will be a link to the PUD development agreement.

You can also find a parcel’s zoning by checking the zoning map (PDF), or contact the Planning and Development Services Department at 512-218-5428.

To look up the permitted uses and development standards of a zoning district, refer to the Zoning Ordinance posted online. To look up the development standards of a property with PUD (Planned Unit Development) zoning, refer to the existing PUDs in Round Rock page. If you have further questions, contact Senior Planner Clyde von Rosenberg at 512-341-3174.

Original zoning and rezoning

Usually a property receives its first (original) zoning at the same time that its annexed into the city. A few properties may remain unzoned, and are regulated by the standards of the Single-Family – Rural (SF-R) district.

Rezoning is the application of a new zoning district to a previously zoned property. All zoning and zoning changes must be consistent with the City’s Future Land Use Map adopted with the General Plan. The zoning and rezoning review process is explained in the Zoning Information Packet.  Zoning and rezoning cases are reviewed by the Planning and Zoning Commission (P&Z) and the City Council, with public hearings as required by state law.

Base Zoning and Overlay Zoning districts

The “base” zoning districts (SF-1, C-1, etc.) describe the range of land uses permitted in the district (e.g. retail, office, apartments…) and their development standards (e.g. setbacks, height limits…).

Overlay zoning is an additional set of requirements for use and development of the property. Round Rock has three overlay zoning districts: Historic (H), Chisholm Trail (CT) and Palm Valley (PV). The CT and PV districts give standards for districts with a distinct architectural character; the H district is the means by which the city designates historic properties.

By Right, Special Standards, and Special Exceptions

Each zoning district lists several categories of permissible land uses. Land uses that are permitted in a zoning district By Right are permitted without further scrutiny. Uses permitted With Conditions are permitted in the district when certain Supplementary Use Standards are met (listed in Section 46-160). Some zoning districts also allow uses by Special Exception when the use may or may not be compatible with surrounding uses, depending on the conditions of the particular site. A Special Exception will only be permitted with the approval of the Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA). Land uses that are not listed are not permitted in the district.

PUDs (Planned Unit Developments)

A Planned Unit Development (PUD) is a site-specific zoning district tailored to a specific location and use(s).  PUDs allow greater flexibility than standard zoning districts, but the development must be of equal or better quality. PUD agreements are adopted as amendments to the Zoning Ordinance and transfer to subsequent property owners just like any other zoning district. A PUD may be amended, or may be removed by rezoning the property to another zoning district or another PUD.

A list of existing PUDs in Round Rock is posted online. For application information, contact Senior Planner Clyde von Rosenberg at 512-341-3174, or refer to the PUD Application Information packet.


Applications are due by noon on the submittal date (see Planning and Zoning Commission schedule). Late, early, and incomplete applications will not be accepted. A staff member will check the application for completeness while the applicant is present; for this reason it is very strongly advised that applications be submitted in person.  If you have questions regarding the zoning application process, contact Cecilia Chapa at 512-671-2727.

TIA (Traffic Impact Analysis)

In some cases it will be necessary to include a Traffic Impact Analysis (TIA) with the zoning or PUD application. Contact Transportation Planner Ed Polasek at 512-341-3167 to determine whether a TIA will be required, or to receive a waiver if it is unnecessary.

Zoning Variances

A variance allows for deviations from any numerical standard included in the Zoning Ordinance. Generally, to justify a variance the applicant must demonstrate that a special condition exists, and that complying with a particular standard (e.g. a building setback) would result in substantial hardship. The applicant must also prove that the variance will not be detrimental to public health, safety, or welfare. Variances are reviewed by the Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA) after a public hearing.  For more information, please refer to the ZBA application information packet or contact Cecilia Chapa at 512-671-2727.