Current information about the status of the Stagecoach Inn is posted on the stagecoach inn info page.
May is National Preservation Month
Local history and historical preservation organizations have a number of special events scheduled:
- Wednesdays, May 3, 10, and 17: At Music on Main performances in May there will be tables with children’s activities and local historic preservation information from the City’s historic preservation program staff and the new nonprofit Round Rock Preservation. At Prete Plaza from 6-8 p.m.. Free.
- Saturday, May 6, The Williamson Museum hosts Pioneer Days, where kids can try pioneer crafts and visit reenactment camps. At Old Settlers Park from 10 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Free.
- Saturday, May 13 “178 Years of Round Rock History” presentation by local author and historian Karen R. Thompson. Co-sponsored by the nonprofit Round Rock Preservation and the City’s historic preservation program. 7:00 p.m. at the Library’s meeting room C (the library will be closed; please use the back (Liberty Ave.) entrance. Free (Round Rock Preservation will accept donations).
2017 Local Legend Award nominations due June 16
The Local Legend Award recognizes individuals, families, businesses, groups, publications, or organizations that have had a positive and lasting impact on the culture, development, and history of Round Rock. Nominations for the Local Legend Awards are always accepted, but nominations for the 2017 awards must be received by June 16. Please see the Local Legend Award page for nomination forms and instructions.
Historic Preservation in Round Rock
The City of Round Rock was founded in the 1840s where the Chisholm Trail crosses Brushy Creek, at the area now known as “Old Town.” In 1876, many of the businesses and residents moved to the current downtown area (“New Town”) when the railroad extended its tracks there. Since then, the City has grown steadily.
As it grows, the City of Round Rock works with owners of older and historic properties to encourage maintenance and upkeep, as well as retention of the historic character of buildings, structures, sites, and districts. The Department of Planning and Development Services (PDS) manages the City’s historic preservation programs. These include:
- Advising property owners who want to renovate historic buildings and approving their proposed changes
- City-wide preservation planning
- Maintaining an inventory of historic properties
- Designating local landmarks and historic districts
- Managing a property tax exemption program available to historic property owners
- Educating the public about Round Rock’s history and the City’s preservation programs
Historic properties in Round Rock
Historic Architecture in Round Rock
Designated Historic Landmarks
Downtown Historic District (National Register District)
Chisholm Trail Historic Area
Downtown Historic Building Information Placards
Historic Round Rock Guide and Walking Tour (map/brochure, pdf)
The Historic Round Rock Collection
Preservation Minutes (videos about Round Rock history and preservation)
Local History Resources
Sam Bass and the Great Round Rock Shootout of July 19, 1878 (brochure, pdf)
Preservation program information
Historic Preservation Commission (HPC)
Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) schedule 2017
HPC Goals for 2016-2017
Certificate of Appropriateness application packet updated Dec. 2016
Historic Designation & Historic Overlay Zoning
Historic property Tax Exemption
2010-2013 Survey and Inventory of Historic Resources
New: Designation of Historic Landmarks and Historic Districts (brochure, pdf)
Historic Design Guidelines for Residential Properties (pdf)
Historic Design Guidelines for Commercial Properties (pdf)
Partial Tax Exemption for Historically Significant Properties (brochure, pdf)
Historic Preservation Commission Schedule (pdf)
Protecting Historic Properties: A Citizen’s Guide to Section 106 Review (brochure, pdf)
Planning & Development Services Department
301 W. Bagdad Avenue, Suite 210 (map)
Round Rock, Texas 78664
Phone: (512) 218-5428
Fax: (512) 218-3286
Walk-in hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday – Friday